We’ve started using emojis in topic titles a fair amount on our forum, and have run into issues with cross-browser consistency. The emojis in the topic title don’t get converted to their discourse equivalent. The same issue also occurs when the topic title is displayed in “latest” or other lists.
For example, if I use the unicode emoji (“woman student”): in the post body, it gets turned into two different Discourse emoji. This is fine, not ideal, but at least it’s consistent across browsers.
However, if I put the same unicode emoji in the topic title (see the title of this topic), it doesn’t get converted to the discourse equivalent, which means appearance varies massively between browsers/OS.
The same issue also occurs when the topic title is displayed in “latest” or other lists.
To illustrate fully:
EDIT: a better example: