Error trying to edit a post with an image in (NginX Proxy Manager?)

@JammyDodger Sir, I must tell you that all of our conversations have contributed to my understanding of Discourse which resulted in a SOLUTION. For the benefit of the community, the problem that I had was ultimately related to not being able to either edit posts with embedded graphics or create new posts with embedded graphics.

The problem started about 2 weeks ago coincident with my upgrade to 2.9.0.beta4 from 2.9.0.beta2.

So, the problem would manifest itself by either a web 500 popup message or a could not upload file error message. Early on I had some issues with my Discourse whereby not all the updates were properly taken. Due to @JammyDodger explaining the differences in the:

./discourse-setup

and the:

git pull
./launcher rebuild app

I repaired the issues with my Discourse. Also notable in this process was the use of:

./discourse-doctor

In any event, even with a fully updated Discourse forum, I still had the aforementioned issue with images.

In my homelab, I selfhost 40+ applications.
This morning quite by accident I noticed that my RocketChat instance was working fine but could not upload images.

I self-host all my application instances behind NginX Proxy Manager (https://nginxproxymanager.com/).
I have used it for years and never a problem.
I looked at its log file and ZERO errors.
On a wild whim, I decided to create a brand new instance of NginX Proxy Manager from scratch.
I added reverse proxy entries for Discourse and RocketChat andā€¦
wait for itā€¦
ALL THE PROBLEMS WENT AWAY.
Graphic uploads worked.
So, if you have ad odd problem with any app and you have talked to the experts and eliminated all the probable causes, the wild and improbable solutions are all thatā€™s left and dimes to donuts, thatā€™s where you find your solution.
Thank you, thank you, thank you to @JammyDodger and all the other great people here who helped me on this journey. You guys rock and make open source software shine. I have done this stuff for 40 years and I just could not see the solution.

P.S - I created a brand new installation of Discourse from scratch with no errors and it couldnā€™t upload images. I knew that point that something was terribly amiss. In any event, if I can ever help anyone here, please feel free to tag up. Special thanks to @JammyDodger once again.

5 Likes

This is fantastic! Congratulations! :slight_smile: :partying_face:

And I never get tired of hearing this. :slight_smile: Iā€™m really glad you found us useful though, and donā€™t be surprised if I do @mention you if someone else has another Nginx Proxy problem pop upā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

My channel ScottiBYTE YouTube channel is devoted to giving back to the community by providing answers to self hosting and home lab infrastructure problems that are difficult to find solutions for. I am actually planning an upcoming video that might help others to diagose this type of unusual issue. Again, you increased my knowledge on Discourse and helped me understand parts of the product that I might not have delved into. Thanks again and feel free to send folks who need help my way.

2 Likes

I wanted to link a video on my channel where I describe this problem and how I fixed it.