Error updating with broken events plugin

I’m also having trouble building the latest stable which was building fine until 1-2 weeks ago. I think it may related to some related ruby changes (even if the ones in discourse_docker have been reversed), as the issue is with a previously working gem that now fails to build.

The gem (stringio) is being pulled (at least?) by the discourse-events plugin, but the plugin has been using this gem and the same version for at least the last 2 years (probably more). I’ve tried building with an older (previously known to work) version of the plugin and it still fails. So I think something else changed in Discourse, perhaps in preparation for Ruby 3.3.1, that also landed on the stable branch?

Perhaps importantly, this is only happening in an ARM machine (in which I have been building Discourse fine over the last couple of months). Trying to build the exact same setup on x86 works fine. So it appears ARM64 depedent, and while the gem is being pulled by discourse-events, it is the same gem (and version) that was working previously. Something in Discourse itself must have changed also, I think. Maybe @Falco has some idea on what may be happening from the ARM64 perspective of things?

Build log
[...]
checking out compatible docker_manager version: 9523f7a88453ce1863071bcc2bc88130b60efee5
HEAD is now at 9523f7a Update translations (#205)

I, [2024-05-28T09:52:18.538215 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'
ERROR:  Error installing stringio:
	ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory: /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/gems/stringio-3.0.2/ext/stringio
/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb
checking for rb_io_extract_modeenc() in ruby/io.h... yes
creating Makefile

current directory: /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/gems/stringio-3.0.2/ext/stringio
make DESTDIR\= sitearchdir\=./.gem.20240528-1205-7qlio5 sitelibdir\=./.gem.20240528-1205-7qlio5 clean

make DESTDIR\= sitearchdir\=./.gem.20240528-1205-7qlio5 sitelibdir\=./.gem.20240528-1205-7qlio5
compiling stringio.c
stringio.c: In function ‘strio_init’:
stringio.c:343:24: error: storage size of ‘convconfig’ isn’t known
  343 |     struct rb_io_enc_t convconfig;
      |                        ^~~~~~~~~~
stringio.c:343:24: warning: unused variable ‘convconfig’ [-Wunused-variable]
stringio.c: At top level:
cc1: note: unrecognized command-line option ‘-Wno-self-assign’ may have been intended to silence earlier diagnostics
cc1: note: unrecognized command-line option ‘-Wno-parentheses-equality’ may have been intended to silence earlier diagnostics
cc1: note: unrecognized command-line option ‘-Wno-constant-logical-operand’ may have been intended to silence earlier diagnostics
make: *** [Makefile:248: stringio.o] Error 1

make failed, exit code 2

Gem files will remain installed in /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/gems/stringio-3.0.2 for inspection.
Results logged to /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/extensions/aarch64-linux/3.3.0/stringio-3.0.2/gem_make.out
I, [2024-05-28T09:52:39.324741 #1]  INFO -- : gem install uuidtools -v 2.2.0 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Successfully installed uuidtools-2.2.0
1 gem installed
gem install iso-639 -v 0.3.5 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Successfully installed iso-639-0.3.5
1 gem installed
gem install ice_cube -v 0.16.4 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Successfully installed ice_cube-0.16.4
1 gem installed
gem install icalendar -v 2.8.0 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
ActiveSupport is required for TimeWithZone support, but not required for general use.
Successfully installed icalendar-2.8.0
1 gem installed
gem install icalendar-recurrence -v 1.1.3 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Successfully installed icalendar-recurrence-1.1.3
1 gem installed
gem install date -v 3.3.4 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
Successfully installed date-3.3.4
1 gem installed
gem install time -v 0.2.0 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Successfully installed time-0.2.0
1 gem installed
gem install stringio -v 3.0.2 -i /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1 --no-document --ignore-dependencies --no-user-install
Building native extensions. This could take a while...
You are specifying the gem stringio in /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/plugin.rb, however it does not exist!
Looked for: 
- /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/specifications/stringio-3.0.2.gemspec
- /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/specifications/stringio-3.0.2-aarch64-linux.gemspec
- /var/www/discourse/plugins/discourse-events/gems/3.3.1/specifications/stringio-3.0.2-aarch64-linux.gemspec

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 1109 exit 255>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.3.0/gems/pups-1.2.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:132:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "tag"=>"migrate", "hook"=>"db_migrate", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 255

Apologies if this is not related to recent ruby changes at all – happy to open a new topic if that’s the case.

StringIO 3.0.2 isn’t compatible with Ruby 3.3, the maintaner need to update it to latest.

Given that this is coming from Events Plugin 📆 and that is listed as broken, you will need to figure a way forward.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Some topics broken… Discotoc?

For anyone hitting this, can confirm that the plugin builds with StringIO 3.0.7 or higher.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.