Breaking change for people on stable versions (v3.2.1 and down) with discourse_docker

This morning I accidentally run a launcher rebuild instead of launcher restart. Should have not been a big deal as we are running with a specific tag v3.2.1 instead of the test-passed and turns out that the build will fail due to a change pushed yesterday that raise the ruby version.

This will break stable version installations. So you are basically forced to install -beta versions or your installation will fail as v3.2.1 is still on the previous ruby version.

I, [2024-05-20T08:53:18.602308 #1]  INFO -- : > cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle install --retry 3 --jobs 4'
google-protobuf-3.25.2-x86_64-linux requires ruby version < 3.3.dev, >= 2.7,
which is incompatible with the current version, 3.3.1
FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle install --retry 3 --jobs 4' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 1276 exit 5>
Location of failure: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/3.3.0/gems/pups-1.2.1/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:132:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle config --local deployment true'", "su discourse -c 'bundle config --local without \"development test\"'", "su discourse -c 'bundle install --retry 3 --jobs 4'"]}
bootstrap failed with exit code 5
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one.
./discourse-doctor may help diagnose the problem.

I checked if there are tags for discourse_docker as it’s quite an important plugin and to my surprise there aren’t. Please be more careful when pushing changes to main.

5 Likes

Thanks for reporting, we’ll get this sorted ASAP :eyes:

4 Likes

We’ve reverted the discourse_docker change while we work on a plan for stable support.

6 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Error updating with broken events plugin