Error with categories with limited visibility and/or subcategories

Same for me, and I upgraded today. So it is in Discourse?

And now I try dig in a bit deeper.

1 Like

Hmm yours is a server side error @Jagster I think thatā€™s a different thing. Also, this change is not merged yet so it shouldnā€™t affect self hosted sites.

Thatā€™s true, but I was logged in.OPā€™s error is for anons. And anyway, in both cases it happends to categories.

From Discourse:

HasCustomFields::NotPreloadedError (Attempted to access the non preloaded custom field 'sort_topics_by_event_start_date' on the 'Category' class.

And

HasCustomFields::NotPreloadedError (Attempted to access the non preloaded custom field 'sort_topics_by_event_start_date' on the 'Category' class. This is disallowed to prevent N+1 queries.)
app/models/concerns/has_custom_fields.rb:203:in `[]'
(eval):47:in `_fast_attributes'
lib/freedom_patches/ams_include_without_root.rb:57:in `include!'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:531:in `serialize_data'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:540:in `render_serialized'
app/controllers/categories_controller.rb:408:in `categories_and_topics'
app/controllers/categories_controller.rb:99:in `categories_and_latest'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:422:in `block in with_resolved_locale'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:422:in `with_resolved_locale'
lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:64:in `call'
lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:389:in `call'
lib/middleware/gtm_script_nonce_injector.rb:10:in `call'
config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:20:in `call'
config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
lib/middleware/enforce_hostname.rb:24:in `call'
lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:233:in `call'

Backtrace

plugins/discourse-calendar/plugin.rb:88:in `block (2 levels) in activate!'
(eval):47:in `_fast_attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:456:in `attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:480:in `_serializable_hash'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:359:in `serializable_hash'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:124:in `block in serialize'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:123:in `map'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:123:in `serialize'

Soā€¦ next I will kill the calender plugin, right?

edit

Links to categories on the sidebar works nicely, every other category-links gives error.

I have limited this error a bit. It happends only when a category has sub-categories. And /categories gives error 500 too.

And I still arenā€™t sure if it comes from Calender. If yes is it another case where safe-mode is toothless?

But Lockdown gives this:

HasCustomFields::NotPreloadedError (Attempted to access the non preloaded custom field 'redirect_url' on the 'Category' class. This is disallowed to prevent N+1 queries.)
(eval):49:in `_fast_attributes'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:531:in `serialize_data'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:540:in `render_serialized'
app/controllers/categories_controller.rb:408:in `categories_and_topics'
app/controllers/categories_controller.rb:99:in `categories_and_latest'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:422:in `block in with_resolved_locale'
app/controllers/application_controller.rb:422:in `with_resolved_locale'
lib/middleware/omniauth_bypass_middleware.rb:64:in `call'
lib/content_security_policy/middleware.rb:12:in `call'
lib/middleware/anonymous_cache.rb:389:in `call'
lib/middleware/gtm_script_nonce_injector.rb:10:in `call'
config/initializers/100-quiet_logger.rb:20:in `call'
config/initializers/100-silence_logger.rb:29:in `call'
lib/middleware/enforce_hostname.rb:24:in `call'
lib/middleware/request_tracker.rb:233:in `call'

Backtrace

plugins/discourse-category-lockdown/plugin.rb:18:in `block (2 levels) in activate!'
(eval):49:in `_fast_attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:468:in `rescue in attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:455:in `attributes'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:480:in `_serializable_hash'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer.rb:359:in `serializable_hash'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:124:in `block in serialize'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:123:in `map'
active_model_serializers (0.8.4) lib/active_model/serializer/associations.rb:123:in `serialize'

Env

HTTP HOSTS: foorumi.katiska.eu

So Iā€™m quite sure this doesnā€™t come from plugins but Discourse itself, but again, Iā€™m not a dev.

Iā€™m the OP and I donā€™t have the Calendar plugin installed (Iā€™m on a hosted discourse level that doesnā€™t have that plugin.)

Itā€™s possible that the ā€œsub-categories cause itā€ is the caseā€¦ I canā€™t tell now since things are pretty broken on my site. But I did just create a categoryā€¦ so if (i forget how it works) it defaults to putting new categories under, for example, Publicā€¦ then I did just create my first sub-category (accidentally).

The error certainly looks like it doesā€¦ sort_topics_by_event_start_dateā€¦

This is being registered here:

and for categories here:

I have a feeling this might be a regression due to category scalability work we are doing nowā€¦ we will have a look.

1 Like

Ah nice! It was already reported. Iā€™ll leave this below so the search works better.

while trying to load /categories.json)

We are investigating this.

This problem was caused by discourse-calendar, but the latest version (soon) of the plugin should fix it:

This is a problem from discourse-category-lockdown, that we do not have any control over. I can submit a PR to it though.

6 Likes

Further issue tracking here non preloaded custom field - Discourse Category Lockdown - Coƶperative

1 Like

Caused? So, both plugins got same bug for reason X, or Discouse has changed something that affect both?

No, Iā€™m not blaiming anyone, but Iā€™m just trying understand jargon.

A recent performance improvement caused this. Custom fields are a unicorn in our codebase that can be used by various plugins to extend functionality. However, if unused incorrectly it can come with a performance hit. This improvement looks at addressing that:

1 Like

I have submitted a PR for that one here, but it is not a repository we have access to:

6 Likes

I saw it got merged, I did a rebuild and it fixed the issue :tada: Thanks for the quick fix, as always fast.

1 Like

Yup. Works nicely. Thanks a lot.

Category Lockdown gives spinner of eternity, though (well, that issue may come from Firefox/iPad on porā€¦spy mode too). But it is different issue, I reckon.

1 Like