Errors encountered when uploading images

Our customers (and I) are encountering error messages when trying to upload a png file on our Instance. I am able to upload on this forum but not on our company instance. Any suggestions?

The error message is:

1 Like

Is the problem happening with all types of image files, or just png images?

If you go to your error logs (found at Admin / Logs / Error Logs) and then try uploading a new image, you might get a more detailed error message that would be helpful for figuring out what’s causing the problem.

4 Likes

Good morning Simon,

First off, thank you so much for your assistance in this. Any insight you can provide is very, very helpful.

I tested with .jpeg and .pdf files as well this morning and we are still encountering issues. I looked at the admin logs and the most recent date of the logs were 6/19. Attached is a screenshot of the log panel. Please let me know if there is a specific log entry you are interested in and I can send the syntax.

Additional interesting note - I was able to upload a small jpeg image (7kb). I update the Admin Settings for Max attachment size to 4096 KB from 3092 KB and I still cannot upload a 265KB pdf.

Is there a different setting I should be using? Any guidance is truly appreciated.

I have this exact problem. I cannot put any images in a post on my Discourse and I am the admin. I have the same error log entry. Was there ever a fix for this?

Which error log entry are you referring to, can you please be more specific?

Last night I ditched the virtual machine in which I had this running. I ended up installing via the script on to an LXC container. The result seems to perform better and has no issues. The best part is, surprise, I have graphics! At first, I resisted the script install because I had doubts about a Docker container running inside an LXC container. The results are great and it is running really nicely. Thanks to all who helped.

1 Like

Hi Jeff and Scott,

Regrettably we are still having the issue with a 655KB PNG file. I never received a response. Scott, I am glad you were able to get past it. Jeff, the log was posted in my reply. Let me know if you need additional information.

Sue

There are a lot of errors in that screenshot; I can’t tell which ones you are referring to. How did you install Discourse? Did you follow our official install guide?

Hi Jeff,

I did not do the installation of Discourse in our environment. It had been installed many years ago before I joined Percussion. The errors that I wanted to point out were from June 19th, 2020. I have no control over the installation of Discourse.

That’s a tough one. Any ideas @pfaffman ? You may wish to retain the services of an expert like Jay – his website is at https://literatecomputing.com

There isn’t much to go on. The site is out of date, so the first thing I’d recommend would be to do an upgrade. That will involve the PostgreSQL 13 update, so it will be a little tricky.

Is it that you can’t upload any PDFs or just that one?

Hi Jay…Thank you so much for responding. At the current moment, we are running into a different issue in our environment with the admin console for Discourse. We could be having a firewall issue. Let me get that taken care of first on our side, then I will discuss with my IT team regarding upgrading. I appreciate all of your effort, but we can put this on hold at this time and I will circle back with you if needed after following your recommendations.

P.S. I was encountering the problems with PNG files and others…I was able to get small png files to upload, but some would not and that was some time ago. I will update you when I have retested everything and have followed your recommendations.

I’d be surpised if those upload errors are coming from a standard installation. Your server headers are different from those on a standard installation. My best wild guess is your reverse proxy is misconfigured.

1 Like