EU visitor stats on /about page

Is the EU visitor stats the one with reduced info (no table for 24 hours, 7 days, 30 days etc.)? I’m curious, what rule within the DSA does this address? I’m surprised that high-level aggregated stats can be problematic in the EU…

1 Like

The Digital Services Act requires that online platform hosts publish their “average monthly active recipients of the service” in the EU over the past six months. Discourse forum owners with EU visitors are going to have to comply.

The numbers have to update at least every six months, and they have to go on a public part of the service’s UI—for Discourse forums, a public page of the forums.

1 Like

It can be fun to see how many EU-citizens there is, but I, as an part of EU, don’t need it. Yes. Discourse as a platform defenetly needs it because its major players may need it, but this regulation is made mainly for gate keepers [1] Meta, X, TikTok etc.

Of course it is easier enable that setting and then forget it.

If someone like S/M-livestyle then this chapter is one starting point to dive in and start looking for more reasons and context:

This Regulation should apply only to intermediary services and not affect requirements set out in Union or national law relating to products or services intermediated through intermediary services, including in situations where the intermediary service constitutes an integral part of another service which is not an intermediary service as recognised in the case-law of the Court of Justice of the European Union.

1. because in some context those are called as hate keepers ↩︎

1 Like

Thanks. EU regulation is so annoying. First the rules which lead to cookie banners everywhere and a huge compliance burden to smaller operators.

Now this pointless rule. And AI rules yet to come…

1 Like

We are off topic, but because USA didn’t do that regulation in the beginning they are now in panic situation where they do a bit there, a bit here and are ballistic because of TikTok.

EU regulations are really easy:

• tell what you do and why
  • don’t screw users
  • do same moderation what you do or should do in a forum anyway

US regulation is actually more confusing. Something is regulated by federal level, some are by states and I bet there is some more local rules too. And because of common law system everything is ruled case by case, not because of purpose.

It’s actually similar in the EU. The EU can sometimes issue directives, which then each country has to implement - unfortunately, they implement and interpret in their own ways. So you have potentially 27 different versions of a law written in 2 dozen different languages.

There is four different levels. A directive is second strongest order issued by the union that does not come into force as such in each member state. The directive guides the internal legislation of the member states, as each country chooses how it implements the provisions and objectives of the directive.

That act is not a directive.

1 Like