Existing users cannot log in, must deactivate then reactivate their account

I’ve tried searching, sorry if I’m overlooking something, but I couldn’t find an answer.

Several people in my company have at some point tried to log in, only to be prompted to create their account as if they were a new user, but they also can’t proceed to create an account because their email is of course taken. There are two buttons, nothing happens if they click on “create profile” or “log in”.

This is usually solved by me deactivating their account, then sending a reactivation email. Four or five people experienced this, we did that once and it hasn’t been a problem since.

But now an employee is experiencing it every time they log out. I have to send the reactivation email every single time.

Any advice?

Screenshot 2021-11-23 at 09.27.21

1 Like

What version of Discourse are you currently running? And how was it installed?

To the first question: 2.5.0.beta6 right now, I’ve asked someone in our company to update it to the newest version, I can’t do it, but this problem also predates our version being outdated. It’s been going on for at least 18 months, which is when I joined the company, though the problem of it happening over and over for one employee is new.

I don’t know how to answer the second question, sorry.

1 Like

Okay, let us start from updating to the latest test-passed Discourse version and from there, we’ll see what needs to still be done.

1 Like

Are you authenticating against the company server for authentication? It may be that it’s not sending over the “this address has been validated” field (I can’t remember what it’s called).

It’s conceivable that you can fix your problem by troubleshooting the authentication, but it’s also conceivable that you’ll have a different problem after you upgrade and you really need to upgrade.

1 Like