Horizontal loading slider

There are two things happening…

@Canapin is right that the initial animation ends 5s in at 80%… so on a slow connection it’ll get stuck there and won’t complete until you’re on the next page

@P16’s case is what I experience on a faster connection… once the transition away from the current page happens, the animation is briefly halted wherever it happened to be… and it picks up a second later on the new page (exaggerated the bar height here so it’s visible)

I agree that keeping some motion ongoing is ideal, but it might not be possible without changing the way it’s implemented entirely…

I don’t think the fade in will help much… you can’t fade in the content until you have it, so you’re slightly delaying its appearance that way. I guess it’s possible it might create an illusion of speed, but it will technically be slower by however long the fade-in animation is!

I just realized you can test the fade in (kinda) with the table of contents component (because it fades in the post), for example… visit: PostgreSQL 13 update. I don’t think it feels particularly faster… but it is definitely “softer”

11 Likes