Explanation of "forwarded emails behavior" (hide/quote/create_replies)

I searched around, but couldn’t find documentation of the purpose and effect of the settings for “forwarded emails behavior”: hide / quote / create_replies.

I tested by forwarding messages to a Category email address, and concluded:

hide:

• strips originating email information from Topic content.
  • appears to come from forwarder, and creates a staged user for forwarder if one does not exist.

quote:

• includes originating email information in Topic content, including source name and address.
  • appears to come from forwarder, and creates a staged user for forwarder if one does not exist.

create_replies

• strips originating email information from Topic content.
  • appears to come from originating sender, and creates a staged user for originating sender if one does not exist.

If I’m missing any effects or implications of these settings, I’d love to know.

1 Like

There are differences between the ‘quote’ and ‘create_replies’ option if the forwarder adds text above the ---------- Forwarded message --------- line in the email. For that case, create_replies will post the text that appeared above the ---------- Forwarded message --------- line as a reply:

The ‘quote’ option will handle that case like this:

There’s some discussion about the setting here: `enable_forwarded_emails` doesn't behave like conventional email forwarding. I had to actually test it to understand how the setting works. Maybe that’s the best approach, but I think some attempt could be made to improve the setting’s description: ‘How to treat a forwarded email to Discourse.’

3 Likes

Ah, excellent, thanks! I didn’t think to try adding text to the message.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.