Extending users expiry date

I have a small number of people in our Discourse community. However when I set them up I included an expiry date for a specific reason. I now want to extend the expiry dates - or even remove. I cannot see how to do this from the admin portal. Is this possible or does the user have to opt back in? Thanks

1 Like

Hi @katievfca :slight_smile:

I’m not sure I’m following? If you can tell me what expiry date you set, and where, I should be able to have a quick look and see what you mean.

2 Likes

Do you mean the clean_up_inactive_users_after_days setting? You can set it to 0. But I guess removed users are gone, unless you can re-sent some sort of activation email or invite them back.

1 Like

Hi. Apologies for the delayed response. I have been on leave and back at work today. The expiry dates are mixed. Some are for the end of August 2022 and others are December 2022. I set these dates when I added new users to my community [Admin/Users/Send invitations] however I cannot see a way to change this now. It’s unclear to me what happens when an expiry date is reached… does the user get a notification email to extend their access? Hope that is clear! Thanks

1 Like

I think I’m with you now. :slightly_smiling_face: That sounds like the invitation expiry date. After that time the invite link will no longer allow the invitee to sign up using it, but you can always send them a new one. :+1:

Once a user is fully signed up and participating, there is generally no expiration on their account.

There are couple of caveats to that for users who haven’t met certain basic thresholds for engagement over a period time, but you can tweak those in the admin settings if you feel that you need to. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

purge unactivated users grace period days (14 days)
clean up inactive users after days (730 days)
clean up unused staged users after days (365 days)

1 Like

Thanks so much for explaining this - I certainly did not realise this was expiration date was related to the invite rather than the period of access! I will also take a look at the admin settings you have suggested. Thanks again!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.