Feedback button

How could end users submit feedback, that say, there is no feedback button?

Then, armed with the feedback that there is no feedback button, would you consider adding one?

Sure, you could do end user surveys to dig up some UX feedback, but end users with something to say in the first place would still have no way to give it to you.

Yes, the future feedback button could say:

For problems like “Johnny replied to my post with a swear word”, “I am not allowed to join the Lawnmower discussion group”, etc. contact your administrator. Click here…

But for problems like “the top of the screen is cut off”, well, yes, we would be delighted to have your feedback! Click here…

Note, I am not talking about

nor just feedback for just one site like

1 Like

For non-toxic, non-sensitive general feedback like this I encourage users to post a Topic in the site feedback Category. The advantage of this public approach for feedback is you can include the whole community in discussions on approaches and solutions to things and people can see prior discussions so you (and others) don’t have to repeat yourself. Why hide this stuff? You might even get long time members helping others out so you don’t even have to intervene! :+1:

This use case is already implemented and catered for in the Post flagging system. It’s even better because it references the exact Post. :+1:

4 Likes

As individual sites can have a lot of configuration and customisation differences it could get confusing when to report issues directly to here rather than through the site feedback category on the sites themselves in the first instance. I’m not sure a typical end user could identify which of their issues were caused by a misapplied setting, a site-specific customised theme, or a third-party plugin, etc. And they also wouldn’t be best placed to take any advice on how to implement a fix for that site, or provide key information that may be required to debug the issue further.

It is of course possible for users to provide feedback here on Meta, though it does require taking a bit of time to gain a deeper understanding of how everything fits together for it to be truly useful. I think having a prominent link for users on every forum would lead to a lot of topics that could probably be better solved by site admins.

3 Likes

Anyway, I was just thinking, there is no direct route, for end users on thousands of sites, to communicate directly with you guys. There is no official pathway they can find.

This contrasts with very many other pieces of software, where there’s always a feedback button in the corner somewhere.

1 Like

Perhaps because of main purpose of Discourse is… feedback? Those other pieces are doing something different things, where is no other way get contact.

Mine is showing email address, for example. It is possible that someone can’t use email but I doubt.

1 Like

How much do you talk with the administrators of the sites you use?

1 Like

Well I’m saying a vanilla installation of… Of what? No, the software doesn’t have any name at all. At least to the end user. Anyway a vanilla installation of it should come with deep down in the menu somewhere a way to contact you guys with some ux improvement suggestions.

1 Like

Let’s see, I use the open street map installation of this software, the bitwarden installation of this software… I never checked who the administrators were.

2 Likes

Again. Why are you calling yourself as end user?

Every single one of my visitors who has something to ask and doesn’t create account for that know for what and why there is /about-page. You don’t want to use it because by your opinion dozens of buttons is sign of the very best UX. No, it is not. Doing things such way that is easy for an user is good practise of UX. Like using /about page as about majority of sites has solved out same thing.

But it isn’t suitable for you for some reason.

1 Like

Then again, the discoverability the /about page has taken a hit imho due to the sidebar … much prefer the way it was/is with the top Hamburger …

2 Likes

I am saying, for example, on About - Bitwarden Community Forums , or About - OpenStreetMap Community , or anywhere else on those sites, users are to be under the impression that the entire site was constructed by the organization who is administrating it. And there was nobody else in the picture.

Not every site has one, but it’s pretty common for sites to have a meta category of their own.

For example, linked from

is the category one would use to give feedback on their site:

3 Likes

By the way, I finally found the way end users are officially allowed to know what software they are using!

$ w3m -dump https://community.*.com/ | grep -i discourse