Feedback on new 🍔 and user menus

I fixed the transform issue, also noticed that stuff is really messed up in site settings cause its missing prefixes which I am about to add.

Fixed the swipe thing but it feels a bit too easy to trigger so going to disable for now. getting the algorithm for swipe right / left to work perfect is artwork.

2 Likes

OK, I made the call to disable “swipe” support. Getting this to work “perfect” is incredibly complicated, anything less than perfect means that we accidentally trigger “swipe to show hamburger” in cases where you do not really want it, which quickly gets very annoying.

We can investigate swipe again maybe in a month or so when we get the basic non-swipe function working really well… but warning, this is almost as complex as the “synching the preview position” function for the editor, its easy to get something working, but very quickly has tons of edge cases.

2 Likes

If we combine the hamburger with the user menu, I don’t suppose there’s anything we can do to make it look more… clickable? I once spent 5 minutes looking for my bookmarks before I realized the user photo was a dropdown, I thought it was a profile link.

Even now I’d expect to find “My” stuff in it but not necessarily anything else.

Is there some kind of visual treatment or subtle iconography you could add if we took that approach?

2 Likes

could make it all one big button… the lines and icon both.

2 Likes

As it stands, the X to close it not being anywhere near my mouse seems kinda odd… despite that clicking the (now detached) hamburger icon again will close the slid out to the right.

This is probably a bug rather than feedback on the UX but clicking on the other dropdowns should hide the sidebar.

That’s an interesting idea, something similar to the Facebook app potentially?

2 Likes

I get and kind of agree with merging notifications and user icon, but less enthused about creating a mega hamburger of everything.

I just juggled around positioning in Desktop so it does not override the header, I also corrected margins a bit.

Still a bunch of fiddling to do… but making progress.

Double scrollbar is kind of annoying on desktop:

1 Like

You can see why scroll bars are ultra suppressed (only visible when scrolling) on all mobile and OS X. I think they generally should be.

1 Like

When folded out, it adds another 3D layer to the layout. That is, note how it hovers slightly above the already raised top bar and puts a shadow on it. This is a minor detail to be sure, but to me it’s somewhat jarring in the otherwise flat land of Discourse.

(On my instance I’ve actually removed the 3D from the top bar as well, replacing the shadow with a thin line and some very subtle transparency on the top bar; I think that fits better. Adding more 3D at this stage feels wrong to me.)

2 Likes

We can fix that by setting .d-header { z-index: 1004; } to stack it above the menu.

I really like this on mobile :iphone: , I think it works really well and turns the menu into something way more useful than the crammed up old hamburger. On mobile the more fullscreen stuff we have the better.

However, I am really struggling to see the value of this on desktop. We have created a button that does not act … at all … like the other buttons around it.

All the other buttons “tie in” with the header (there is an effect that makes it so). They are in a consistent distance from the element they act on. This causes a menu to pop up in an arbitrarily wrong position.

I am struggling to see what we are gaining in desktop over simply increasing the height of the old hamburger.

Add height

The current design of this fullscreen thing wastes space.

Since 90% of my personal use of hamburger is to go to admin and 10% to go to tags, the hamburger is not really a super important thing to me, but it does now feel mighty odd.

I am extremely worried about notifications getting the same treatment on desktop, I use that all the time and if it were full height it would be a disaster to me. Current design only takes up a very small amount of window space so its not obtrusive.

I do wonder what @awesomerobot thinks about this.

12 Likes

Correct, they all need to be full height… and will be. Showing 5 search results sucks compared to showing how many can fit on my screen. The user drop-down is disastrous, it has all of 5 items in it. It’s pointless.

You could have a multi-level slide-out menu that is opened with the hamburger toggle. Using multiple levels could help to get rid of the need for the scrollbar. On wide screens there might be a way to display the menu without covering the main parts of the forum.

My point remains and is valid, we can expand the height of the “Search” results dialog and make it full screen without having to “slide it in from the right” in some sort of “weird” location that is nowhere close to the button I press.

Also,

There is a cost to these full screen dialogs, look at search on http://www.imdb.com/ , http://www.amazon.com/ , http://ebay.com and even Google, all of them pop up “suggestions” and then take you to a full screen if you ask for more detail.

In fact, the suggestion “mechanism” used globally by all the big sites is much more powerful than what we do now.

It allows us a very clean spot to teach people about all the advanced operators.

1 Like

The big win is to get rid of a permanent glyph, like so

1) Search tab

2) Menu / Hamburger tab

(as exists, with enhancements along the lines of Chrome hamburger)

3) Avatar / Notifications tab

10 Likes

with regard to search … if we do amalgamate “notifications” and user, we would possibly have room in header for “search” something that can be very useful.

If we get rid of every single icon, we end up hiding all of the good functions:

4 Likes

I am still not following why this new amalgamation invalidates our current UI paradigm and requires a slideout on desktop

This will work just fine on desktop. if we must it can be full height and menus will not be appearing from nowhere.

8 Likes