Feedback on our simplified topic map experiment

Minor UX issue in case of single stats without Summarize button:

Related CSS:

&.--single-stat {
  button {
    flex-direction: row;
    gap: 0.25em;

Since the read time is on two lines, maybe it would be okay to keep the single stats on two lines as well. :thinking:

just to compare

4 Likes

The views in the diagram show the wrong dates. The days are off by one day

2 Likes

This experiment has been disabled for now, as the way summaries are implemented has changed (they’ve been moved from Discourse core to the Discourse-AI plugin).

We plan on making this the default in Discourse, but don’t have a timeline for it yet.

8 Likes

Alas!
and
one more!

Oh, this topic is still alive. Well, the topic map here shows, at the moment, 14 min read. What does that mean, approx. reading time? And if yes, is there way to adjust that — as reading time it looks a bit unrealistic.

1 Like

I guess the formula is a simple word count? 85 comments in 14 minutes means an average of almost 10 seconds per comment. Not unrealistic at all.

(This reading time has been here for a long time, though? EDIT: yep.)

2 Likes

I hided reading time long time ago, because it is more or less noise, pseudo-data. But on my forum topic of 6 posts, where first is bit longer, but not long-long and others are typical 2-4 liners. I’m too lazy to count words, but 5 mins for that is way too long. We finns may be faster reader because something like one minute is realistic for slower/average readers.

AcitivityPub topic here is massive, but even english is my third language I can’t spend something like close to 4 hours for that.

2 Likes

I’m happy to announce that this has been implemented into core! :tada:
The Discourse AI plugin has also been updated to support the new UI

10 Likes

While there is obviously enough space, the German version of the view count is sometimes spread across 2 lines.

4 Likes

I find it difficult to recognise the topic map here:

7 Likes

I think so too. I often confuse topic maps with other things.

3 Likes

Thanks for merging this. I really like it :heart:

I’ve noticed the Topic Summary text is not translatable here:

8 Likes

Hi! I found this topic map lovely!

I wanted to ask (sorry if it’s already explained, I couldn’t find the answer): Is there a way to set that it appears in every topic, even when there are no replies at all? (but there are likes, links and views)

For my case of use, it would be very useful to display this data in a much clearer way.

Also, can anyone tell me if it’s bugged? Because I see it like this… Even when there are replies and likes, they don’t show in the map:
This is a screenshot of a mobile device displaying a social media interface, possibly a comment section, with a post by a user named "2023" and a video link for "Ver 4 publicaciones ocultas," which can be translated to "Watch 4 hidden publications."  (Captioned by AI)

Thank you!!

6 Likes

Some stats are hidden untill there is more to show

Soon

Adds two site settings to fine-tune the visibility of the topic map: show_bottom_topic_map and show_topic_map_in_topics_without_replies

7 Likes

Great!!
I’ll wait for it :star_struck:

Thank you!

3 Likes

The PR with the small improvements it’s merged now, among some cleanup and fixes, most notable changes are the two new to site settings:

• show_bottom_topic_map
  • show_topic_map_in_topics_without_replies
11 Likes

Finally :tada: This will be so useful!

4 Likes

But remember, even after toggling on this option, there are still some ‘riders’ on it (e.g. minimum number of likes, 4-5 replies etc).

More info here:

3 Likes

Hello :wave:

On mobile, it drops the most liked replies modal style.

2 Likes

The dates are very close together now
Screenshot_20240827_093009_Chrome

5 Likes