Finnish locale typos and other notes

This is awesome! Very nice that Finnish ended up on the list :slight_smile:

@Silvanus, @rizka, @codexia, @ljpp the new Finnish translation has already been active here on Meta and on your sites (if you have recently updated them).

If you encounter any problems, please let us know by replying to this topic.

If necessary, we will pass your feedback to the official translators to make any corrections!

3 Likes

First of all, many thanks for including Finnish to the list of officially supported/translated languages. This is quite surprising, considering the miniscule size of our country, population and language. People of Minnesota may appreciate this too :slight_smile:

Couple things have popped out, but I am having trouble expressing the issue in english - I lack the words and terms of linguistic professionals, but let’s give it a shot.

Flagging

Flagging used to be flagging (liputa) in Finnish too. This feature is very specific to Discourse and people have used to flagging stuff. Now when you flag a post in FI locale, the term is Merkitse. This comes straight from the anglo-saxian languages, via Swedish, meaning mark. Marking in FI is however a completely neutral word, like a bookmark (kirjanmerkki - literally book-mark). Flagging has a negative emotional charge and is familiar from football where offside calls are flagged by the assisting referees. I see that flagging is still the term in US-EN and the icon is a :black_flag: as it has always been. I would revert the feature the back to flagging in FI as well.

Names of months

Now this is not a matter of opinion, but an obvious bug. Apparently this commit changes the inflected forms of FI months and ends up breaking them. Yes, this is where the Finnish grammar gets complex and makes translations occasionally very dificult when done in logical strings.

In FI all months end with -kuu (month, or moon). December is joulukuu (Christmas month). 24th of December in FI is 24. joulukuuta, but in Discourse there are now dialogs where it is shown as 24. jouluta, missing the -kuu (month) part. Jouluta is not a word of any kind in FI.

Hopefully that gibberish made any sense to you or the translators.

4 Likes

Could you post a screenshot of such a dialog where the month names are wrong?

At same line as system.

1 Like

Here is a mobile view example.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I found the error. Those should be short month names (e.g “kesä” or “touko”), but the new translations append “ta” to those strings. I’ll fix it on Crowdin and it will be included in next week’s translation update.

3 Likes

Those short names are not quite typical in Finland but sure, everybody recognize them. And these saves only three characters.

But I’m sure you guys have same guidelines for all translations that you are following, so nice you can fix that.

(But if I would have serious biz- or sci-forum there would never been monthnames like those short ones - whole name or number, nothing else :slight_smile: )

A space is missing from this string, before the number two 2 (number of unread messages)

Here also. If I had written this sentence in compulsory school, the teacher would have slapped me.

Click the links - they contain screenshots.

1 Like

One small thing that gives not-so-professional image :wink:

In finnish (as globally almost everyone) hour should be h. Not t (because hour is tunti in finnish).

Every finnish understand meaning of t, but it should not use and mostly it isn’t in use.

t instead h comes everytime when the time is shown in relative form (ago… etc)

I’ve fixed it in my setup but should it be right more officially too?

Report sent.

Sure.

Before I send this report to the translator, @ljpp could you also confirm that it is better to use h instead of t?

1 Like

I disagree.

Using the “h” is anglicism. Sure, everyone will understand it, but it is english - not finnish. The formal way of expressing time is:

7 t 15 min (= 7 h 15 min)

Source: Kielikello, a magazine focusing on formal/proper finnish. They have an awesome collection of online articles available, in finnish.

Edit:

Since Discourse is being translated to finnish, the target should always be proper/formal finnish, IMHO. Anyone can switch their locale to english if that is the the personal preference.

3 Likes

No it is not :wink:

It is a SI-unit and official way to show hour. And the most common way too. I know it varies depending where one lives (hämäläisillä on taipumus käyttää t:tä h:n sijaan, mutta se on murrekysymys, ei anglismiin liittyvä).

What would be an example that our english friends understand… using t is same than no-one when the right way is no one.

It is at it comes from latin hora to english hour.

But you are right about the fact that an hour as a mathematical unit is h also in finnish. I looked from several credible sources that when “tunti” (hour) is abbreviated in the common language, the correct letter is t.

H is used in mathematics, natural sciences and economics.

But I am not a linguistic and I suck at finnish grammar. I would still choose t. @rizka did most of the ground work for the FI translation - he might know better?

So is or mie (meaning I, the right form is minä ) but you should not use those.

Using SI-units is quite much bigger and more commom thing than just limiting in math, economics etc. Has been several decades now by the way. As you know, I’m sure.

Kg is an anglism too :wink: And even you can buy one kappa (old amount) potatoes from farmers market and it is in use in some common language, you would never use kappa over kilogram :wink: (not in public forums, any way)

t works if one wants to use common language and not be formal in any way. But h is the official form and should use always when using aka. book finnish. So, default should be h and if someone wants to be unformal it can be changed to t — not vice versa.

Now you are mixing slang words, historical units and other things totally unrelated the issue. I simply refer to the official guidelines and sources - link one that says otherwise.

I’m surely not a professional in this field. But I agree with you: we should stick with guidelines given in that Kielikello article. That’s what I have always done when in doubt. It’s as official as it can be. It’s not just some magazine but it is published by the Finnish language board (Suomen kielen lautakunta) which is a section of Institute for the Languages of Finland (Kotimaisten kielten keskus) which is an expert organization under the umbrella of the Ministry of Education and Culture of Finland (Opetus- ja kulttuuriministeriö). When it comes to the Finnish language, the Finnish language board is the authority who makes the calls what is right.

Notably, they even have a call service which you can call when in a serious doubt. I’ve never resorted to that resource. But one guy did after a heated argument broke on a high school Finnish lesson back in the days. The lady on the other end did her best to give the best answer possible to the rather bizarre question.

4 Likes