Finnish locale typos and other notes

Hi, my users have started finding typos in Finnish translation, where can I report them?

Edit: I changed the title.

1 Like

Great! A good starting point is https://www.transifex.com/discourse/discourse-org/

2 Likes

A thread for the Finnish translation would be useful, and maybe this one could be renamed to be it. Most of the work has been done by @probus. I joined in December and have been keeping the translation up to date ever since in co-operation with @probus. Some other people have also contributed to the translation about two years ago.

Me and @probus can edit any string in Transifex so you can report them to either of us. Alternatively, I believe you could have reviewer rights in Transifex if you want contribute. For instant local fix, you can easily edit those in the admin panel, but remember to report them anyway: I want the translation to be as good as possible.

3 Likes

The typo is in js.filters.latest.title_with_count.one. Is currently Tuoremmat (1), should be Tuoreimmat (1) (a missing i). I did the local fix myself already, but here’s the locus for you to fix globally as well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you for reporting, it is now fixed in Transifex, too. I already wondered how I have always missed that, but it was just a month old typo which explains!

2 Likes

A few miscellaneous thoughts about the Finnish locale in Finnish:

• Toggle Unlisted kääntyy suomeksi huonosti, koska kielessä ei ole hyvää vastinetta kummallekaan sanalle. Itse toiminnollahan voi tehdä ketjua luodessa siitä näkymättömän listauksissa. Nappula näkyy, kun alkaa luoda ketjua ja klikkaa editorissa rataskuvaketta, jos kyseisen toiminnon käyttöön on oikeudet. Yhtä kaikki, päädyin lopulta ratkaisuun Listauksissa näkyminen, mikä ei kunnioita alkuperäistä tarkasti, mutta toimii melko hyvin asiayhteydessään.

• Termille flair tarvittaisiin napakka käännös: Avatar Flair (not Badges) for Groups. Mun mielikuvitukseni ehdottaa (ryhmän) tunnusta. Onko muita ideoita?

• Termin arvomerkki voisi minusta muuttaa ansiomerkiksi, koska pääsääntöisesti suoriutumisista niitä jaetaan. Mitä tuumii @probus tästä?

• Transifexissa on joukko ohjelmointirajapinnan (API) käännöksiä, jotka jätän ainakin toistaiseksi odottamaan jotakuta, joka ymmärtää siitä maailmasta enemmän.

A bit more in Finnish:

Olen tästä itse kyllä samaa mieltä. Ansiomerkki sen nimi on myös muissa konteksteissa.

1 Like

In Finnish:

Lukutoukka-ansiomerkin kuvauksessa:

Keskustelua huolellisesti lukemilla tiedät missä mennään

pitäisi olla: lukemalla

1 Like

Well spotted! Now fixed.

Hide Details doesn’t have a Finnish translation yet. I used as a local fix “Spoiler”, but it is quite anglicized. Any ideas for something neater? Piilota yksityiskohdat is kind of long… Maybe yhteenveto?

Yep, most related to the GitHub - discourse/discourse-spoiler-alert: A plugin for discourse to hide spoilers behind the spoiler-alert jQuery plugin plugin is currently missing Finnish translations. You @Silvanus are familiar with the following topic but for others, see:

I said “most” because the Blur Spoiler part I translated. Yeah, did something wrong, but @zogstrip fixed it so it is now seen here in Meta for instance.

So I translated Blur Spoiler to Spoileri already. I always seek for ways to express things in pure Finnish instead of anglicisms, but here I made an exception. Words like spoilata (to spoil smth) and spoileri (spoiler) are very common expressions especially among young people these days, and I can’t imagine a proper synonym for them.

Which leads me to my point: you shouldn’t translate Hide Details to Spoileri because the expression is reserved for the other functionality. The exact translation would be Piilota yksityiskohdat indeed and it is a long phrase. However, it should work: I think that it fits where it is supposed to fit, as Listauksissa näkyminen fits, too. About neater options, Yhteenveto (Summary) can be quite misleading. Perhaps Piilotettu teksti (Hidden text) could work?

By the way, did you check if the modification you did to Hide Details actually took place? I just tested it at Nettitelkku.com and nothing happens. It still says Hide Details. There probably is some good explanation for this behavior.

PS. I re-translated the term Arvomerkki to Ansiomerkki in the weekend.

Our forum doesn’t seem to have the blur option… Just checked, and no, the translation doesn’t appear.

I just realized Blur Spoiler and Hide Details are separate plugins. Explains how your site can have just one of them.

Maybe I should really try GitHub translating again. I can’t break anything, anyway: I don’t think I have rights to overwrite stuff.

1 Like

I’ll just quote from my forum user, so you don’t think I find these all by myself (in Finnish:)

Kun tarkastelen profiilitietojani, eräänä otsikkona tilastoissa on “useiten vastannut”. Tämä on luullakseni virheellistä kieltä. (pitäisi olla: “useimmin”)

1 Like

It seems that authorities consider “useiten” is a proper word and a synonym to “useimmin”.

http://www.kielitoimistonohjepankki.fi/ohje/528

I change it anyway as “useimmin” is better.

On that page, the translations of “Top Topics”, “Top Posts” and “Top Badges” bother me. I’ve chosen to translate “Top” to “Parhaat” (best), but it’s not that good.

Omissa asetuksissa on kohta “Vaimennetut” alueet: “Et saa imoituksia uusista viesteistä näillä alueilla, eivätkä ne näy tuoreimmissa.” [sic, huom. typo]

1 Like

Korjasin. Sama esiintyi myös vaimennettuja tunnisteita koskevassa pätkässä.

1 Like

js.topics.new_messages_marker = edellinen vierailu

Lisäsin sen.

Transifexissa on aika paljon kääntämätöntä tällä hetkellä. Taannoin jätin ohjelmointirajapinnan käännökset odottamaan, ja nyt jonossa on myös Webhooksiin liittyvää kamaa. Aiemmin ketjussa mainitsemani flair kääntyi Tappara.co-palstalaisten avustuksella pinssiksi.

Voisin yrittää jossain vaiheessa katsoa…