Finnish locale typos and other notes

[fi.admin.site_settings.categories.search] = Haku
[fi.admin.site_settings.categories.user_api] = Rajapinta

For some reason these are shown as these codes in my Admin > Settings…

They are rather new strings and thus untranslated. In such cases the English string should be used instead. I don’t know why it shows you some code. Must be a bug I think.

I translated them both now.

fi.admin.site_settings.categories.groups = Ryhmät

I added that when I did some translating yesterday.

2 Likes

Ehdotus: asiaankuulumaton (offtopic) on minun korvassa sama kuin asiaton. Parempi käännös olisi aiheeseen kuulumaton.

Saman asian kanssa ollaan tuskailtu, ja juuri eilen tein muutoksia käännökseen! “Asiaankuulumattoman” käänsin fraasilla “eksyy aiheesta” ja “asiaton” päädyttiin vaihtamaan sanaan “sopimaton”. Muitakin pikku fiksauksia tein liputukseen liittyviin tekstinpätkiin.

1 Like

Hienoa. Tuo on aiheuttanut meidän foorumilla todella paljon loukkaantumisia, kun kirjoittajat ovat saaneet viestejä asiaankuulumattomista viesteistä, mutta eivät ole tajunneet, että kyse on vain offtopikista…

3 posts were split to a new topic: Localized staff group names changed?

Hei,
Sellaista tuli mieleen, että pitäisikö tuota sanastoa koittaa täyttää. Pieni epäilys, että saattaa olla eri ketjuissa sama termi käännettynä useammalla eri tavalla, kun ei ole yhteinäistä linjaa. Tuota voisi ehkäpä jossain kohtaa katsella? Muuten mahdollisuus, että jopa samalla sivulla lukee sama asia eri termein ilmaistuna.

Mä koen sen sanaston enemmän ärsyttävänä, koska systeemi säikyttelee varoituksilla, kun sana esiintyy tekstissä taivutettuna. Mulla on mielessä painuneena se sanasto ja tarpeen vaatiessa kurkkaan sillä concordance-haulla menneitä vastaavuuksia. Sulla toki tuoreena kääntäjänä ei sitä luksusta ole vielä, mutta se tulee aika nopeasti.

Jälkeen jäänyttä käännöstä olen puskenut eteenpäin tässä viime viikkoina ja aletaan olla jo hyvässä tilanteessa. Seuraava stable-julkaisu on tuloillaan noin kuukauden päästä ja siihen mennessä aion saada käännöksen priimakuntoon.

2 Likes

Shout-out to all Finnish translators. I beleive our buddy @rizka has been the primary driver over the recent years, but due to real life obligations the Finnish locale is now seriously lagging behind. English strings popping up everywhere.

Ping @codexia, who was mentioned as a FI contributor in 2020. Also @Yu_Gong1, who runs the largest FI Discourse instance around.

3 Likes

I did some translation during the weekend, client.yml should be 100% currently. I feel like there is a lot of work still in the plugins, server.yml and improving the finnish wording in overall. Just found out that for example the user table in https://domain/u overflows because of the long phrasing.

2 Likes

I’m seeing the same problem in German. I asked our designers if we can fix the user directory. No promises…

2 Likes

Hopefully it gets fixed :slight_smile: It would help if the table header would allow flowing to two rows, because the finnish translations are mostly in two words :grin:

I have translated all the plugins that were missing translations, only 6k words to go in the main server.yml side. I’m guessing someone with reviewer access needs to approve the new/modified translation strings?

1 Like

It will get fixed. We have an internal todo for it, but it might take some time because there’s no easy fix.

Not needed and there are no reviewers for Finnish.

2 Likes

Thank you @codexia for your hard work. I haven’t been able and/or motivated to keep grinding, so it’s so awesome to have someone to keep it going!

I was intending to fix some typos I’ve spotted, but for some reason I’m not able to. When trying to access the Finnish project, I’m getting this error:

I suspect somebody turned off crowdsourced translating into Finnish for some reason? I believe the issue is restricted to Finnish only since I can access other languages just fine. Maybe @gerhard knows what’s going on?

Pinned topic in #dev:translations

2 Likes

Ah ok, missed that! Sounds awesome. Though now I’m wondering, how did Finnish end up on the list? There aren’t so many of us when compared to speakers of other languages on the list. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Criteria during the choice were the most popular languages globally + the most popular languages among our paying customers.

3 Likes