First steps on installing Discourse

I’m a developer but I’m not very familiar with the “forum/community” field. I would like to learn all about it.
I decided to create a forum which will have the label “Math, CS and Physics” (Does not really matter).
I found Discourse and it looks amazing. After some reading, I understood that in order to install Discourse, I have to buy a VPS. I don’t mind to spend some bucks on great things like that, but before doing it I’m trying to make a little research about them. I was wondering if there is a proper guide of how to install Discourse on a VPS (like Amazon or Cloudsigma) that I could use. I saw the guide on Github but as I understand it talks about installing Discourse on local server.
Just feeling a bit lost and hope someone can point me to the right direction.
If someone has some time to spend on me, I would be more then glad to have a PM from you!
Thank you for your patience.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md is what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Not necessarily. If you rather want to focus on building your community, you could get managed hosting instead, at Communiteq (formerly DiscourseHosting) or discourse.org.

3 Likes