Flag notifications not showing until page refresh (Legacy menu + new notification menu)

i have at least three moderators that are not getting the flag notification indicators from the review queue to either the hamburger menu or the avatar menu flag tab. they are getting moderator messages so unless the flag includes a message, they are not getting notified. they’ve been having to go to the review queue to look for them (they do show up in the queue as unreviewed). we’ve confirmed this issue has been going on since i enabled the updated avatar menu, which was about two weeks ago. two of the moderators are my best and most active mods so this isn’t good. i am the admin and also a member of the moderator group and i get all the flag notifications to the menus and flag tab, and some of my other moderators are getting them as well.

i am flummoxed at the moment. it’s not like there are a bunch of settings for this and it’s a bit difficult to reproduce. any ideas?

3 Likes

When you say ‘notified’ do you mean onsite, or by email?

1 Like

on-site. i mean the little indicators on hamburger menu and the avatar menu flag tab (i don’t like calling them badges because badges has another meaning in Discourse). i am testing it now at the moment and my test mod account is getting them. i’ve been trying to reproduce myself but i can’t.

2 Likes

Coud it be that you are hitting this?

1 Like

just a note - we are having no issues with the email notification to mods. this appears to be strictly between the review queue and the menu notifications.

1 Like

That should only be if you’ve set notify about flags after. In the first instance, flags should all go to the review queue and pop the little red flag up.

I’m wondering if it’s gap between having the new user menu but no sidebar yet? It may behave differently than it used to/what you’re expecting?

4 Likes

i’m rolling out the new side bar first week of May i think. i want users to have some time to get used to it before our busy season starts in June.

1 Like

From what I understand, it should be working just fine with the Legacy hamburger menu in place. I’ve just set my test site up with it and had a run-through and it is supposed to look like this:

Though, interestingly the actual link to the reviewable does not show up in the notification list unless you select the flag mini-menu:

2 Likes

yea i’m getting the notifications just fine like your screenshots. i rolled the avatar menu back to test it and my mod says he still didn’t get the flag, but my test mod account did :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

we just did two flag tests and with the old avatar menu and he didn’t get either flag indicator. i had to tell him that there was a flag.

1 Like

i’ve sort of managed to reproduce this. my test mod account didn’t get any notification of a flag and i used it to navigate around the site in the meantime. the flag appeared after reloading the page header.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve been having a few goes, and that does also appear to be the case for me too. I can browse all through the site, but the flag doesn’t show until I refresh the page.

Something isn’t quite right there.

2 Likes

i’ve reproduced it in both mobile and desktop now.

this is relatively recent, because i know they were working properly before. our mods are pretty on top of the flags. we’ve only identified this in the last couple weeks.

1 Like

Let’s slide it over to bug and see if we can get someone to take a look. :+1:

Summary repro:

• Set navigation menu to 'Legacy`
  • Enable enable new notifications menu
  • Refresh for them to take effect
  • Flag a post
  • Flag does not show on avatar or in menu until page is refreshed
4 Likes

question - does it only happen for you with the legacy nav menu? in other words, if you have the sidebar enabled, are the flags going to the avatar menu tab immediately without page refresh? i am just wondering if we’ve established that it is dependent on the sidebar being enabled.

i’ve definitely reproduced this. my mod account has been surfing my site for 15 min now without a notification of an inappropriate content flag. i just refreshed and voila there it is.

1 Like

I’ve just given it a test run to make sure, and when I have sidebar enabled the red flag on the avatar pops up straightaway. :+1:

(same for Header Dropdown as well)

2 Likes

heh even more incentive to get that sidebar rolled out :slightly_smiling_face:

thanks for your help on this!

2 Likes

No worries :slight_smile:

And just to be thorough, it appears to be Legacy + enable new notifications menu. I’ll add it to the repro above.

2 Likes

i’ve also managed to reproduce the flip side of this - new flag indicators are still showing notifications in the menus for flags that have been reviewed and processed by other mods - i can navigate around the site for awhile and they seem to remain until i refresh the page or go to the now empty review queue (as soon as i go to the review queue page, the flag indicators disappear).

4 Likes

Thanks for the report @Lilly - I’ve opened a PR with a fix for this issue

We’ll get it merged and deployed out to our managed hosting ASAP

4 Likes