Following category for new member of a group : malfunctions

Hell :slight_smile:

I’m really blocked for using my discourse. I suspect a bug in the user preferences, when the user joins a group, that it gives him access to a new category and that the default setting should be “Follow”. I did a test which confirms it, with a new email address:
The user registers and then joins a group. The categories followed by this group are therefore added to the user’s preferences (/u/…/preferences/categories "). He can see the new category, but the notification level is at the maximum (here are the user settings):

While it should be a simple follow up (here are the group settings):

Thus, the forum overloads members of this group, who complain about it.

Do you have any idea what is wrong?

Is there a way to find a detailed explanation of how these notifications work somewhere? Because I lack transparency, I cannot use them correctly.

Thanks a lot,

Cedric

The user’s notification level that you set on the group’s Categories page should match the notification level that is set on the user’s preferences page. I tested this in French just to make sure we are looking at the same thing.

Here is the group category settings on my site:

And here is the updated settings page of a user who was just added to the group:

Possibly this is being overridden by a default categories setting. Try searching for the text default categories on your site settings page:

If the category that is causing the problem is set there, remove the category from the setting. Select the option to apply the changes retroactively when you update the setting.

If this does not fix the issue for you, let us know what version of Discourse your site is using. So far I have not been able to reproduce the issue on a site that’s using the latest Discourse code.

3 Likes

It’s ok ! Thank you very much ! :star_struck: :heart_eyes:
(so it was not a bug, my apologies)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.