Forums with personal messaging off still tell people to send personal messages to other people after 3 replies

This issue causes people to accidentally create topics on the forum after replying to the same person 3 times in a row. Noting that personal messaging on the forum is disabled. I don’t have any pictures of this issue, but I have reproduction steps and a topic that somebody accidentally created on the forum for evidence.

Reproduction [not tested]

1. Reply to somebody 3 times on the forum until it tells you that you can send a “personal message” to them.
  2. Click the button to send a message to them. It will end up prompting to create a normal topic instead of sending a message to them for some reason. This results in people accidentally creating topics.

Example:

[Reply #13 of topic states they thought they were sending a personal message to someone but accidentally created a topic instead.]

3 Likes

I agree something should be changed here.
At the moment you could increase the “get a room threshold” setting to a very high value.

6 Likes

Update: I would like to update that I recently told the staff of the forum about this issue as messaging is disabled in that forum. There is no good way to reach it other than the moderators group so I reached to that section of the forum. Josh is the admin of the forum but they aren’t in the moderators group, but I reminded the moderators team of this issue:

2 Likes

I think there’s a previous ux topic on this:

2 Likes

Thanks for telling me this information.

2 Likes

No worries. :+1: Let’s close this one off and move it out of bug as it’s a known issue.

2 Likes