Global notification settings/behavior

(Philip Battin) #1

It would be really useful for some sites if it was possible to change the global notification settings/behavior for all users - similar to what each user can do under their own preferences:

These two global settings in particular would be useful to have

This could enable a notification behavior like facebook - where you will get notified on all new replies to posts you also commented on.

Use cases

• Discourse sites used more as news sites or email lists
  • Discourse sites where users only visit once a week or a few times a month and loose track of what is new
  • Discourse sites, like ours, where the home page is top topics / hot topics and thus not showing the most recent in the top - making it hard to keep old threads alive.

Example
Our site has the hot topic filtering as the home page, which works great for our purpose - which is mainly news based discussions. However, we have some topics, like this one - “What are you listening to” or “UX Toolbox” which are supposed to live on forever - however after some time they get buried under other threads and die.

Quite some people have liked the threads - some people commented - we want everybody who either commented or liked the topics to get notified per default if anything happens in the threads

(Sam Saffron) #2

I totally support adding a new default here like we do for all user prefs.

Regarding “auto track on like” we would first need a user preference for that:

“Automatically [do nothing | track | watch] topics I like” I think it is a reasonable default to automatically track topics you like. @codinghorror thoughts on such a new setting.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

(Philip Battin) #4

Watching topics you like is more of a “nice to have” from our side. Not completely sure about the use case for that - but i see clear use cases for watching topics users comment on. It is basically how facebook’s notifications are set up

(Mittineague) #5

Every topic provides the “per topic” option after the last post.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Yes, this pref makes more sense, right now if you reply to a topic the state is set to “track”, but making that a user pref to “watch” is reasonable. (Does beg the question about other scenarios, unfortunately, implying a preferences explosion…)

Adding a whole new pref around what happens when you like, I don’t support. Virtually nobody is asking for this @sam

(Sam Saffron) #7

cough this already exists, what is asked for here is a site setting to control the default, which I totally support, its the way it works with all the rest

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Oh yeah I forget the community added that. Fine to add a mirroring global.