Google Docs images hotlinking?

https://lh7-rt.googleusercontent.com/docsz/AD_4nXdLQ5-q84ony1VzIGK4izJGik22LEeB_gHEQbHQjlAPJrX7sMK7Q1W3RcCGPjhJZC-ZZh65pjkbmo8FYdcFG80vo3Dz5On5tbM3kUydn0Bdt38qpNMHW8zMrbhNZ3mtMAKtGhUwdH-WW3M?key=n0M0oxLP1Cb8-erR7Q

Above Link modified so it will give you an error if you visit the link(it was added for example to show Google docs image link).

1. Open Google docs
  2. Upload image of large size to Google Docs
  3. Right click on the image and click copy
  4. Paste it on topic creator, You can find that topic creator fetches the image and displays the image properly(Allowing you to override discourse’s 5 mb limit).

My question is if i submit the post, the image will continue to show as long as the image is not deleted from Google Docs and also document being public? only time error or image will fail to load is only while image uploaded document is deleted from Google drive or document changed to private ?

Feels like hotlinking ? is there any other way available to upload larger size images and possibly escape discourse’s annoying compression of images ? Would be happy if we can escape the compression and keep the original quality.

Imgur works ? or discourse will also compress imgur uploaded images ? I dont know about how powerful imgur or discourse servers are for handling large number of image where they feel the need to compress everything, but i know Google docs servers are Powerful and can show all images in original quality without any compression(So will be happy to know if discourse/Google Docs supports hotlinking or not).

Does not seem to work, wanted to know whether if its possible to Get the support or not(and also Ways to Escape image compression).

The compression is there to save everyone’s bandwidth.

If you click on an image (not Google Doc) in a Topic it will lightbox the original I believe

3 Likes

The Compression implemented on discourse is Not Lossless, its Lossy compression, There Should be an option for Rich Viewing Experience, discourse compression makes HQ image look like SD Image.

Maybe a Question Like,

The Author Recommends the images in the topic to be Loaded in Original Quality, Would You Like the original images to be Loaded ?

Yes (May Increase Bandwidth) or NO(Continue with Compressed images)

Not Every topic needs to have this question being shown for Everyone but this Question can be asked only in cases where author wants images to be viewed in High Quality(by users).

The Question can be added at the 1st image and users answer on whether to load the original images or not can be applied for all images.

I don’t think it’s controversial to display compressed images on web?

2 Likes

With this statement you seem to be concerned that loading original images can increase bandwidth consumption for Everyone so compression is used for which i have added the feedback to ask question for users.

Error handling also need to be prioritized, For Example, if user selects, No(Continue with compressed images) and then later found the need to load original images due to some details lost from compression, Simply Reloading the topic should make the question appear again, so they will gain the chance to load original images this time.

There are several settings related to image compression that admins can configure according to the needs of their community.
So, before writing a feature request, please check that what you suggest isn’t already possible.

4 Likes

Show me screenshot ?

Are you sure Admin can see an option like “Do Not Compress images” or something similar where there wont be any compression done ?

Note the max image size kb setting’s description (this is a search for max image):

Additionally, there’s the png to jpg quality setting:

As well as the other settings that show up for quality as a search:

2 Likes

Why should I invest time to write a list of all image-related settings for you?

Did you try to use search? There are several topics where you could learn more about this.

4 Likes

So Setting 100 will disable compression and a value like 99 gives Richer Quality(like only 5% Quality being reduced), Right ?

Also if you’re on business plan and reached 100 GB, What’s Next ? No other option other than deleting older topics with lot of media contents ? , What a community needs to do if they Reach 100 GB limit and doesnt necessarily need to upgrade to “Enterprise” ?

Thanks for Sharing the images and Adding Clarity.

Is this an actual problem you have as an admin? Then it’s probably best to contact the Discourse team using the contact option mentioned in your admin dashboard. If not, why is it relevant?

1 Like

Maybe because if the prizes for Additional Storage aren’t unrealistically expensive, Communities can Lift the Limit for Each image to 20mb, Disable Compression and Setup the Site for Rich Viewing Experience.

Business plan is Missing

It delivers a point that discourse plans comparison needs an update as discourse failed to add clarity for Business Plan Selected Companies.

Doesnt matter i own a community or not, This is Basic knowledge which needs to be added.

That should really be a completely separate topic.

1 Like

They clearly state that they will contact you in case you exceed the limits to find a solution.

Regarding the add-on for the Standard plan, it seems to have been introduced in response to customers’ needs. If there’s a similar demand from business users, I’m sure they’d explore that option as well. However, without a clear need, it might be difficult for them to determine which metrics would need to be extended.

If you’re looking for more flexibility, self-hosting or exploring other hosting providers might be good alternatives.

Lastly, I’d appreciate your help in keeping the forum organized. It looks like this topic has moved away from the original question about linking images from Google Docs. In general, this is a community support forum, so for questions about official CDCK hosting, it might be best to contact them directly.

To keep things organized, could you start new topics for unrelated questions? It would help keep discussions focused and easier to follow. Thanks!

3 Likes

Have you considered posting the topic with the compressed image and adding say a note with a Google drive link or something similar for downloading image to view the image at max quality?

But yeah as others have mentioned you would need to contact your hosted provider if you want to increase storage. Otherwise there is a setting to allow full delete. The downside is your old topics would be lost or you would need to remove the image from the post. After a period of time the orphaned uploaded images will be deleted.

I haven’t used it myself but there are also image hosting services like imgurl Image there might be ones that host full image quality

1 Like

Imgur Seems to be deleting images after a period of inactivity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder/comments/13hgi64/tomorrow_is_the_big_day_imgur_is_deleting_all/

Lets try Google Photos

Google Photos

As you can see, it is working on Preview

But the Question is, Will it work after topic is Submitted ?

one of the biggest problem with discourse topic creator is that the preview feature is fake as whats showing on preview is not seen after the topic is submitted, wish there was a way to actually preview the post like vbulletin before submitting…

and the Lack of Resizing images feels like we are living in past, All forums fills the image to body whereas discourse promises in preview like image will be fully stretched but after topic is submitted, it randomly resizes some specific images, i agree this maybe due to some site related settings but features like this should not be offered as it breaks immersion.

i do not know whats wrong while image is stretched…