Grant non forum staff permissions to write new Data Explorer queries

Hi everyone,

I searched the forum before writing this but wanted to make sure I didn’t miss anything. I am an admin for a self-hosted Discourse installation and we have the Data Explorer plugin installed. Other teams need access to the database for reporting purposes and they need the ability to generate new queries. I have already set up saved queries and a group to run the reports, but they also need the ability to see and work with the data structures themselves in order to integrate the forum with our other reporting tools. In short, they need access to the query construction in the edit and input part of the plugin. The way I understand it is that at the plugin query construction and input level it is admin access only - and at the results/output level for running pre-made queries and viewing reports it is at the group level. Is this correct?

If so, are there ways to work around this? For example with a custom system user that would have access to only that plugin to compose new queries? Or within a member account itself using a trust level and then checking against that level for access? Any pointers in the right direction are much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Also, if I have the premise incorrect or missing something please let me know and thank you!

(Edit to add, they have already tried using the API)

That’ll be a feature request as this isn’t currently possible without admin status. As you’ve correctly mentioned above running reports is the only group feature to run querys.

3 Likes

Thank you very much for the pointer. :slight_smile: (edit- just saw this was moved to the feature category, thanks!)

1 Like

That would give them access to everything in the database. You’d need to trust one or more of them with admin privileges or fork the plugin to allow their group to use it.

4 Likes