Group inboxes not appearing

I’m not seeing group inboxes appear for any group inbox other than moderators. The groups have Who can message this group? set to everyone. One of the groups even has a message in its inbox which I got a notification for and I can see by going to the /messages/group/group-name URL, but the sidebar doesn’t show any inboxes other than the personal one and the moderator one, and the inbox selection dropdown doesn’t show other group inboxes either.

At /g/moderators there’s also a messages tab, while none of the other groups have one.

Any ideas what the issue could be or how to get more useful info?

1 Like

Can you provide more info? Ie what version of Discourse Meta your using. I am running Test-Passed and it is working in the mailbox dropdown

If you are an admin account have you added yourself to the group’s your wanting to see the group mailbox?

Or do you mean sidebar?

It looks like here you may need to add the other inboxes.

Actually on mine the other mailboxes are showing had to scroll down.

I’m on 3.3.0.beta2-dev c77d109362

I am an admin, but I have added myself to the groups. It’s both the sidebar and the mailbox that the group mailboxes don’t appear.

The + that you pointed out at the bottom of the sidebar looks like it’s for adding custom sections, not for making mailboxes appear. I also checked the + next to the “Messages” heading, but that’s for composing a new message.

I also asked a non-admin user who is in one of the groups that I sent a test message to, and they get the same behavior. They can get to the inbox using a direct link, and they get a notification for receiving the message, but they don’t see links to the group mailbox anywhere in the ui

1 Like

Okay reviewing my groups as some mailboxes are not showing up in the side bar. At a guess it has to do with visibility setting.

The Above group’s inbox does not show in either sidebar or inbox drop down. …

I have tried changing saving and refreshing each time different settings on this page.

I only get 4 inboxes showing in either place. This might be a big or need a setting change in the dashboard settings…

This one below does show.

Okay after scanning & digging here on Meta. This is my findings based on some topic reviews.

Ensure each Group has a message generated.

One Of my group Inbox was not showing until I sent a test message.

So I would suggest making a simple Welcome message or something in each group. This should populate the missing group inboxes.

2 Likes

That’s weird, it seems to have fixed it even though the group did have a message. It looks like the issue might have been that the message that the group already had was a topic that was converted to a message, rather than one that was created as a message.

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

You’re quite welcome. Though an starting to hate this Google Pixel phone. Really need to read things before committing the post. It really likes to pick and insert words it seems.

Glad we were able to figure this out.
:beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like