Groups Link in hamburger menu still there after turning off groups directory

Groups Link in hamburger menu still there after turning off groups directory in admin section.

It’s confusing and I’m unsure if that link shows for members still (which I don’t want it to).

3 Likes

That link will always show for site admins despite not appearing for normal users, as it’s critical for managing groups.

I understand though — this option is a bit inconsistent with the enable user directory setting, which hides the Users link in the hamburger menu for both admins/normal users.

Currently our admin/public groups directory uses the same page (with more/less options)… while we have separate admin/public user directories, which I imagine is why those are different behaviors… but that’s not super clear to an admin.

I guess the simplest option would be to hide it from that menu for everyone when turned off, and force admins to go through the admin panel to manage groups (admin/users/groups)… but that change could potentially create more confusion than it would solve (by making groups harder to find).

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Groups wasn’t difficult to find, as it’s under users in the admin panel. Having an admin setting in the hamburger menu like that feels off.

2 Likes

We should make this consistent and hide it in this case @nbianca

6 Likes

Fixed by

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/6314

6 Likes

Just highlighting this part, since many of us (myself included) seemed to miss that before.

2 Likes