Guest Gate Theme Component

I’ve slid your support question over to the component topic itself to try and get the proper eyes on it. :+1: Hopefully @Don can suggest something? :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Hello @Himanshu_Singh :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks for the report I will look into this.

3 Likes

Thanks Don. I appreciate it! I had another inquiry for earlier :point_up: Any thoughts on this question?

2 Likes

The Guest Gate is not showing up for crawlers such as GoogleBot. So it shouldn’t cause any slow or issue with crawling.

4 Likes

Hello,

I checked it with Discourse Connect and works as expected for me. The modal not appears after I logged in. Can you share your guest gate settings (screenshot) and your website url (here or PM) to I can check this? :slightly_smiling_face:

If you use Discourse Connect you have to disable custom url enabled checkbox. Because it will first try to redirect to the custom urls after clicking the Guest Gate modal login / register button. If you leave this checkbox unchecked than the buttons will use the Discourse Connect url.

2 Likes

Here is the GIF that shows the issue (the user is not logged in after SSO login) - Screen capture - c6935b85cf70cf6b0aee72e6a82a3164 - Gyazo

Here are the guest gate settings: Screen capture - 1dd428ada77c70f84e49c81dbd30fe69 - Gyazo

Community URL - https://community.showprowess.com
Website URL - https://www.showprowess.com

Thanks for looking into this Don!

1 Like

Thanks @Himanshu_Singh,

I think it is because you using custom urls on guest gate buttons https://www.showprowess.com/login and https://www.showprowess.com/register which is not same as SSO login. Please uncheck the custom url enabled setting in guest gate and try again. :slightly_smiling_face: If you uncheck this the guest gate modal buttons will use Discourse Connect.

Screenshot 2022-06-30 at 22.42.53

1 Like

So I unchecked the box - Screenshot - 50b6ee19e5e09edd5cee337f329be7a5 - Gyazo

But still the user is not automatically logged in from WordPress. Now both the buttons direct to /login page which is the Discourse Connect link for the site.

Hello,

I pushed an update for Discourse Connect usage.

This update removes signup button when Discourse Connect enabled and only show a Log In button. I also added different text to Discourse Connect login button guest_gate.sso_log_in . Which you can find under theme translations, the default text Log In . This update also add a custom text guest_gate.or default or separator which appears between login and signup links. Only appear when you use links and not buttons.

And now add another update to the component.

This update will add icon to Log In and Sign Up buttons. I also add some settings to change icons.

3 Likes

Thanks Don! After this update my Sign Up button disappeared, any idea why?

1 Like

Memberful is also use Discourse Connect? Can you check that? Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes it does use Connect

1 Like

I see now on your site the Join NPN button on header is custom button and the Sign In button use Discourse Connect. Guest Gate modal works as expected because you use Discourse Connect login so the signup button is not appear by default. It is hard because users who use Connect cannot use guest gate custom urls settings for authenticate login because that url is mostly generated. But it seems to Memberful login url is not contains generated section.

I think we should make separate settings for Discourse Connect usage. :thinking: I will add a setting to add sign up button to Discourse Connect.

2 Likes

@Himanshu_Singh and @davidkingham I pushed an update to Discourse Connect signup button.

It will add a settings and translation to Discourse Connect logins. You can disable the custom url enable section and check the enable discourse connect signup checkbox then paste the signup url in discourse connect signup url what you use in custom signup url.

Theme Settings
Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 17.47.14

Theme Translations
Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 17.47.42

3 Likes

Brilliant, thank you so much Don!

1 Like

I have been using it with dismissable false (“Removes the close button, which prevents visitors from closing it.”) in the default, unticked state.

Tonight I tried ticking that option. It successfully removes the “x”. But if you click to log in or sign up, then it’s possible to dismiss that modal and go back to the forum as if nothing had happened. Is there any way round this? Thanks.

Yes, that is the way it working.

To handle this you need to enable this setting. It will redirect the visitor to the homepage when clicking to Log In or Sign Up button. So the visitor can’t read the topic.

Screenshot 2022-07-29 at 2.14.48

2 Likes

I have max guest topic views (“Number of topic views until gate displays. After the gate first appears, it appears randomly between 1 and this number.”) set to 5, which means that the user can (4 times out of 5) go back to see the topic. It’s definitely more of a pain in the neck, so custom url enabled might lead more people to sign up! Thanks :slight_smile:

But to get round it completely, maybe there could be a new setting so that the guest gate appears every time after the max guest topic views is reached the first time. So, for instance, the gate would appear after 5 topic views, then every topic view thereafter. Maybe something like max guest topic views initial and max guest topic views subsequent (those names are too long, but you know what I mean).

1 Like

Is this still working properly? I’ve noticed that I’m not getting redirected to home anymore and the login or register modal can be closed making it easy for visitors to bypass the guest gate.

Hello, Yes, just tested now works fine for me.

1 Like