Handling invitations which match current accounts

I’m not entirely sure how it happened, but I have a number of invitations which are outstanding, but match the email address of an active user.

I imagine it could be:

• I invite someone
  • they register for access on their own
  • an admin on our site approves them, and either
  • It was me, and I don’t go cross check my invite list
  • It was another admin on our site, who can’t see my outstanding invites
  • I’m left with a stale invite, causing confusion when I re-send it.

I doubt it can be prevented, but it would be nice if the ones were highlighted so I knew to remove the unneeded invites.

Or maybe they could be auto-removed if a new account is created, and it matches anyone’s outstanding invite?

Thanks!

Not sure exactly what happens in this case, I suspect it might work fine, can you check @techapj and report back?

1. Invitation is sent to name@example.com
  2. User independently registers a new account at name@example.com
  3. Invitation link is clicked by the user

Ideally, the registration at step 2 would consume the invitation from #1, with the following two benefits:

• I no longer have the pending invite, to manage.
  • The user is automatically approved into my otherwise closed forum.

and in the case of step 3, it’d be whatever currently happens if they click a consumed invite now.

Yes that is what I hope happens. @techapj can confirm.

I just tested this locally and found out that this was happening for me. Then I enabled the setting must approve users and tested again, and the invitation was not redeemed.

So the invitation is not getting redeemed when the site setting must approve users is enabled. Added this on my to-do list.

3 Likes

This issue was fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/03665e8466bba6a2370089a943cd70ad278827c3

4 Likes