Have category name visible, but not posts within the category

Hey everyone! I want to create a “FOMO category” - a category where every user in the community can see the name of the category and that it exists, but where only users in a certain groups can view & create posts in the category. The idea is to motivate other users to become members of that special group.

Is this possible? I’ve seen that I can make the categories totally private to certain groups, but I haven’t seen a way to make just the category name public.

I thought of a way to do this currently - have a main category where no one has create access but everyone has read access. Then use subcategories to grant create access to specific groups.

Let me know if you have a different idea, or if there’s any feature or plugin I’m overlooking :slight_smile:

Hello anna :slight_smile:

There is this official theme component:

If you want users to be able to read the topics from a category but not able to reply or create topics, this is done in the security settings of the category :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes! This is exactly what I wanted, and a lot more elegant than having categories on categories.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.