Header search plugin

Hey @angus, thanks and no worries. We’ve gone live now without the plugin and I’ll have to find a quite time to sneak it in and test it out :slight_smile:

Dave

1 Like

Hi @angus, thanks for the update mate, but still I’m not able to get the header search box back. I checked the plugin settings, still…

Is there any Discourse forum using our ‘Header Search’ plugin at the moment? I can speak with the owner, maybe it’s conflicting with the other plugins I installed, I dunno what’s the reason here.

Hey @pradeepkumar link me to your discourse instance and I’ll take a look at the DOM.

1 Like

I’ve just committed a big refactor of this plugin. If you were having trouble with it previously please try it now.
cc @pradeepkumar

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-header-search/commit/d51c78b2fc57dfe3ba6bf145f6fc43fe5e7034fa

3 Likes

When I enabled this plugin, the Advance search cannot translate to other language, English is default , is this a bug? :slight_smile:

Which text in particular? As I see the plugin has only a single language translated… english.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-header-search/tree/master/config/locales

So if it is the string in those files, you might want to consider providing a PR to translate it into your language.

1 Like

I fork this plugin, and add Vietnamese files (client.vi.yml and server.vi.yml to locales ), translate from original English files.

1 Like

Header Search Plugin have errors after install on Discourse v1.8.0.beta9 +81

FAILED
--------------------
Pups::ExecError: cd /var/www/discourse && su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile' failed with return #<Process::Status: pid 386 exit 1>
Location of failure: /pups/lib/pups/exec_command.rb:108:in `spawn'
exec failed with the params {"cd"=>"$home", "hook"=>"bundle_exec", "cmd"=>["su discourse -c 'bundle install --deployment --verbose --without test --without development'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake db:migrate'", "su discourse -c 'bundle exec rake assets:precompile'"]}
708e81806d63a7035149671d978fce44e09fb1b441b67c37a5202c949d806a6a
** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for earlier error messages, there may be more than one

Are you seeing errors specific to the header search plugin?

I’ve re-installed this plugin on my dev site running the latest Discourse and it’s working fine.

Hi @angus header search plugin work well on latest discourse :smiley:, it’s my mistake when I install plugin :pensive: Thank you!

2 Likes

This plugin can now also be installed as a theme :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Hi!

Search bar works great!

On my forum users got two options, day and night mode. In day mode everything looks great, but in night mode it’s too bright for most of them.

Is it possible to change search background colour depends of chosen theme?

You’ll have to add some css on your customize section on your dark theme :

The file where you can find everything you need : https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-header-search/blob/master/assets/stylesheets/header-search.scss

And some examples :

#search-term {
    background-color: #f1f1f1;
}

#search-term.searching-background {
      background-color:rgba(0, 136, 204, 0.2);
}
2 Likes

I’ve updated this plugin and the equivalent theme to use the relevant scss variables. No need to change your css :slight_smile:

4 Likes

In Russian, the phrase “Advanced Search” does not look right.

The problem is that “advanced search” is inside the search box instead on the right because, when you are on a topic page appears the “Search this topic” box on the right.

The easiest way to fix it is to look for shorter terms to use in the placeholder and replace “advanced search” using “options”. And change it in the russian translation on Github.

You can fix it locally in various ways using CSS but the best solution is something that can be usefull for all russian sites that use this plugin.

1 Like

@angus
Now it looks just awesome! Thanks!

3 Likes

When i install the plugin, whether i have extra info enabled or not, all i get is this.

It looks like you’re using an old version of the plugin there. That funky background was removed a while ago. Try rebuilding your container.

I’ve added this plugin to my sandbox to give an example of the latest version in action with the latest Discourse.

Running v1.9.0.beta14 +43, the Header plugin is creating a floating group that entirely disables the navbar below it (Latest, new, unread ,etc.):

@angus - the same happens inside of your sandbox. All this said, great plugin btw! It’s very useful for my application.