Help me host discourse I am stuck

Hi,
so far this is the best forum in the entire internet atleast for me .I have bought a godaddy hosting .i read the already answered thread here which explains that discourse will not work on shared hosting . But i am installing it on primary domain .Just copied the files to the folder named forum but no luck so far . I dont know how to install discouse could you guys help me install it . The co-founder told something about old style manual install .can anyone explain what is it .i will do everything i can to install this amazing forums on my website . any ideas on how to install it are welcome …
thankyou

Do you have a VPS? Doesn’t sound like you do, it sounds like you’re trying to host it through GoDaddy’s shared hosting, which is not going to work.

No i dont have vps . Is there anyway to install discourse ?

I doubt that “old-style manual install” would work on a shared host either - you need full SSH access to be able to do things like install stuff like RVM, Redis and Postgres. Your best bets are:

• Abandon your shared host and get a VPS ( These are pretty cheap nowadays for quite alot of welly even $10-20 a month gets you enough oomph to run Discourse ) Then you can do either Docker install or manual install
  • Use Discourse’ own hosting options [here] <- see jeff’s post below
  • A cloud based install on something like Heroku? Not sure about this but it sounds like you should be able to do it bu following the cloud based install

MB

See $99 Discourse Install – Literate Computing, LLC there is a $99 one time option which is $10/month on Digital Ocean.

Thankyou for the suggestion guys .that 99$ option is really great but the problem is i dont have money for it . I am not rich enough to buy vps either .1600 per month in my currency which is too great for me .
is there any thread that explains the “old-style manual install” i will try my best to install it .i have full ssh access came to know my hosting server centos6

There are links to the old manual Ubuntu install but it is unsupported. We cannot respond to unsupported install requests here, sorry.

You need to install on a server that has proper Docker support.

Despite what codinghorror says, there are plenty of people here on Meta who can help with questions and problems with manual installs…

However:

You absolutely, without question, 100% need to have a private server. Whether it’s a virtualized machine or a real machine does not make much difference, but unless you can SSH into the server, become root and create and drop databases at a whim, you won’t be able to install Discourse.

7 Likes

To better understand your budget can you confirm where you’re based? Discourse has some very specific requirements so if you plan to host it, you might want to claim a refund on your GD hosting and upgrade to a VPS somewhere.