Help us build the new 2.0 Dashboard

I will have to investigate, so far I can’t reproduce most of it.

This is the “can you take a look at this skin mole” problem for a theoretical community of doctors. Pure support communities tend to be boring and unsustainable — lots of people with big asks but no real incentives for the experts to hang around, because it is a thankless and tedious task for them. But even there read time would matter, mostly for anons hopefully finding answers to their questions versus bouncing out immediately.

The long answer is that support only communities will burn out unless there is an army of paid employees doing the actual work. I don’t see Discourse as a pure support solution in any case, as no meaningful long term community can form there.

5 Likes

@joffreyjaffeux hovering over the image on the graphs doesn’t display what it was in the last time period like it does in the tables. Is this a regression or did it never make it in? It’s pretty handy to have.

I’d find it useful to see the number of bounced emails within the last week or so on the dashboard.

2 Likes

I do have this:

You don’t have it? not what you expect?

1 Like

Fixed by:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/74ced977bed2d951aabd43a3ae154caefce3bfce

Thanks

4 Likes

The ‘Posts’ graph won’t populate for me if I select Quarter or Year - this could be because we migrated to Discourse last month. The other graphs work fine for these timeframes.

1 Like

Does it work for year/month/week ?

Week and month work, quarter and year don’t.

This will be fixed by:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/d556975cdc4562d8a69dbdbb3e844b341b65de27

Thanks

6 Likes

One metric that a support forum ( like Meta!) is interested in but very hard to measure is “questions not asked”. If people are coming to the site, finding the right answer, and leaving: that’s a success! One less KB article you need to spend time writing. (Or the forum hosts the KB article.)

(This has a lot of overlap with SO.)

7 Likes

Is it possible to view the overall statistics from the first day on?
In addition to the year, it what also be nice, if the calendar year could be chosen (2016, 2017, …).

1 Like

yes but you will have to go to the dedicated page for this: /admin/reports/posts

It’s not very easy to do as we don’t think that’s a very relevant metric to get.

Indeed, there is some potential in (admin-)user experience :wink:

My intention is to keep track on the overall community healthiness. The dashboard is absolutely the best place for doing that. If I’m going to present someone spontaneously these metrics, anyone should be able to compare the graphs at the same time. So, a small fine-tuning of the drop down menu would be amazing! <3

However, the new admin dashboard is already a huge step forward. Good job guys!!

Thats not what we think, you want to compare progress over limited period of time, like a month or a year. Not 4 years. On so long period of times you lose context and will fail to link efforts to progression or at least will be uncertain about it.

1 Like

Nope.

Nearly every company is publishing annual and quarter reports.

I don’t wanna remove the existing entries. They are also very interesting for short periods. But if you’re going to compare years, it becomes a bit difficult on that way. Therefore, I just wish an overall overview since the launch to present and for each year.

Even Amazon is sorting your orders in history page this way; I really think is the most intuitive experience for professional page analytics.

I’m not saying we don’t need access to it, I just don’t think it’s the place for the dashboard, hence why you have access to it in the dedicated report view.

5 Likes

We want more options
For example when adding user fields such as gender, country or qualification
We want them to appear in dashboard

I think that it’s not clear that everyone wants every custom field in the dashboard. Have you considered the data explorer plugin?

2 Likes

I want to bring this back up @joffreyjaffeux

As we have to look at specific timeframes on the custom graphs, regardless of which one, and need to use a specific timeframe instead of the “last month” (which isn’t really the last month, but is instead the last 30 days) it would be extremely helpful to have the metric (whether it’s DAU/MAU, Signups, etc.) actually displayed on the page for that timeframe. If not you have to export it and then open in your spreadsheet app and do the calculation yourself which is hardly what you want from your reports.

If we need to split this to a different topic then so be it - but I think this would significantly decrease the pain felt by a lot of people (assumption is I am not the only one that does this procedure regularly).