Hetzner experiences

Anyone tried to use hetzner storage box instead of S3 to store uploads? Backups are of course doable w/cronjobs, but, you know.

3 Likes

Looks like you can mount it in your server filesystem right? In that case you can mount it and treat as local uploads and it should be transparent for Discourse.

3 Likes

Yea I actually noticed the same after posting. Seems legit :thinking:

1 Like

OK, so after some digging we’ll probably be implementing this by mounting the storage box with webdav.

Once we’ve gotten around to it, I’ll let you know how it went.

If someone has experience of this already, feel free to drop any comments and especially warnings or if you have some useful flags in mind re: optimization.

1 Like

Hetzner is great! You’re probably better off using their Block Storage Volumes. They are more expensive compared to Storage Box, but rock solid.

Oh, we’re fine with less solidity and more cheapness - otherwise we would’ve simply bought more storage volume as you suggested.

On a sidenote, they sure don’t mess around with billing - had to learn that the hard way :joy:

I had a disastrous beginning of this year that resulted in, among other things, me completely forgetting about the bill from february (automatic billing had failed because of me maxing out my card), and they shut the services down after a month :sweat_smile:

Once the payment went through it only took like 15-30 minutes for the services and console to be available again, but that’s some tough love :smiley:

Everyone is doing that.

btw. for anyone interested, took us some time to look into this and ended up upscaling volumes. if we continue to have issues with uploads (as we just now adjusted some upload limits, doing some imagemagick tricks on FS-level) we probably will start uploading backups to s3. right now we’re fine as long as we can at least survive upgrades without crashes, which is not the case if you run out of disk space.