Hetzner launches a VPS service

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #1

Looks like you can get a Discourse-compatible “cloud” server for € 2.49 / $ 3 from Hetzner now.

The price point to host Discourse keeps going down.

External link to undefined in suggested topics
Transitioning to Discourse later
(Ben) #2

That looks good, really thanks for sharing it! Thought of making a mini Discourse instance on DigitalOcean, I’ll take a look into Hetzner instead though. Best regards!

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Thanks, @falco. Have you (or anyone?) tried Hetzner? I’m preparing a list of “recommended” (or “approved” or “it should work and be easy enough for a novice to figure out”) VPS provides. Should this be on the list?

(Matt Palmer) #4

I haven’t used a Hetzner VPS, but I have physical machines at Hetzner, and they’re a reasonable provider with an acceptable level of service and support.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #5

I tried to test it, but they want me to send my passport over to activate my account and I’m not that interested now :roll_eyes:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

The open source project I managed for years used Hetzner for cheap dedicated hosting. No complaints!

Recommended Hosting Providers for Self Hosters

We are using their VPS for Discourse and it’s really good. I didn’t know for this cloud option, thanks for sharing, we will check out. Currently we are on their CX40 package (19.90€/mo) and we never had any problems.

(ljpp) #8

Hetzer has offered VPS for years, but this new product line is cheaper. I wonder how these differ from the classic product line that is still available.

https://www.hetzner.com/virtual-server

Hetzner is a solid operator. Support is only available during office hours, and servers never break during office hours.

(Régis Hanol) #9

Looks like you have some battle scars :wink:

(ljpp) #10

Building the web since 1996, online since 1985.

I tested the € 2.49 server (CX11). I could install Discourse & restore a local backup successfully. CPU: Intel Xeon Processor (Skylake, IBRS) 2100Mhz.

They sent me an email asking for a copy of ID. I sent an email by masking all private information. The account got approved. I never got an email notification of approval though. We need to login to check the approval. I asked them if I can pay in advance via paypal. But, advance payment is only possible with wire transfer. Best regards.

(Christoph) #12

Quick note for European users: those are the prices without VAT. If you’re in Germany, for example, the price will be 2.96 €, in Sweden 3.11 € etc, depending on your local tax rate.

I’m based in Spain, and activated and tested the service without sharing my passport (maybe because I used a credit card from EU and that’s why it was not needed more ID details).

The console seems great, very responsive.

I really liked it. :heart: