Hiding scrollbars in labelled equations - Mathjax wrapping

There are very distracting scrollbars, vertical or horizontal, that show on labelled equations, both with Mathjax and Katex. For example, when I do:

$$
\begin{equation}
C(k,w) = \iint_{-\infty}^{\infty} c(x,t)e^{-i2\pi(kx + wt)}dx \ dt
\end{equation}
$$

I get:

and I cannot get rid of it no matter how much I enlarge my browser window.
How can I get rid of them when they are obviously not needed to display the whole equation block?

My Math settings are currently like this:

2 Likes

hi @Wall-E

i tried to reproduce your equation (i have mathjax settings set the same as you) and i got this with no scrollbars:

$$
\begin{equation}
C(k,w) = \iint_{-\infty}^{\infty} c(x,t)e^{-i2\pi(kx + wt)}dx \ dt
\end{equation}
$$

i used both chrome on windows desktop and safari in iOS in both desktop and mobile views.

can you provide any more details? i can’t seem to reproduce the issue.

are you talking about the zoom on hover feature? perhaps that should have better wrapping or more options for zooming amount… :thinking:

i also noticed that i never get scroll bars even if i do a long equation that goes off the page and there is no wrapping, so it displays only part of the equation.

1 Like

I must have had a glitch in refreshing my pages when I tested both Katex and Mathjax. I tried again with Mathjax and the equation label/number is not showing anymore with that same code, just like you. The scrollbar only shows when the label shows up, and so it looks like it is Katex related. Can you reproduce the issue with Katex set in the settings?

I was not talking about the zoom feature. Which I believe does not work with Katex anyway?

1 Like

ahaha. it’s a katex thing. also katex adds scrolling to all equations, even short ones where it’s unnecessary. but also the non-scrolling of long equations works (as opposed to Mathjax).