Highly aggressive troll whackamole

I was thinking the same thing. :slightly_smiling_face:

Why not split the discussion into a new topic or a private message?

So much for those older posts. They disappeared out of thin air…

4 Likes

Agreed often better to split a topic instead of outright deletion.

5 Likes

The two responses above could be considered derailing, not staying on topic, even though they are civilized,but the topic is not effectively defined, its broad, like the Casablanca test you know trolling and derailing when you see it,

Discourse has some great built in features

• Mute option
  • PM system
  • Warning systems
  • User to user flag system

Do we as admin push these?

Some trolls may not in fact be trolls but behaving normal for their culture , should we punish them?

Its a good topic @DrBB and I’m sorry you have the issues, hope we can help , I know I can take from this to help manage my home forum :+1:

5 Likes

Agreed. Not to keep with being off topic. But one method we try in our forum is to have the Op own their topic and deem if something is derailing it.

The muting, flagging system works okay to a point. The Script our member Kopa made improves upon the idea by having it hide posts in any topic from a user one finds irritating. Why the script would be a great add on as it improves the mute/ignore function.

I Reccommend reading his post.

5 Likes

I took that a step further and made it a requirement the OP place a DND (do not derail) notice if they want strict enforcement , I wouldn’t at all oppose making the mute actually trim posts down so something like muted comment appears in place of the post rather than just hide notifications, I believe it would be more attractive to users.

5 Likes

As the OP in question I was finding the VPN discussion somewhat useful in that we were looking at ways to limit the scope of IP repression to the range within which the troll seemed to be operating, and it was helpful getting a sense of the extent to which that might be effective. But I agree that it was starting to become more theoretical than practical.

Yes, and we’ve implemented all of those on our forum, along with Akismet for catching out and out spammers, and they are all effective for 98% of the stuff we run into. My OP was prompted by what you can do when you’ve got someone who’s on a whole higher level of determination, up to and including making threats of violence over the messaging system. I think the thread has been pretty helpful to me in laying out the possibilities beyond those standard ones, so thanks to everyone for that, as well as the message that there are ultimately no magic bullets on the technical side. I feel pretty confident that we’re not missing something we should know about, and that’s helpful too.

My own philosophy is that engagement is better than high-tech warfare if it can be achieved with someone like this, who is manifestly dealing with demons of a neurochemical nature. We have one member who has been in touch with the guy on a personal level in the past and established herself as something of an ally, so she’s been reaching out to him through side channels. In spite of my rather exasperated comment about incarceration upthread, there’s a real concern for the guy. The site is for Type 1 diabetics, and we’re very worried he may not be getting access to insulin while he’s in this state, so we’re hoping we can find a way to help head off that bad outcome if we possibly can. Even though he’s been such a pain!

9 Likes

In what you describe here having a member whom the individual is responding on a more positive level is key. Often with difficult users it can take time to find a way to reach them. However once successful(if possible) can become very productive members.

This more often requires staff to have a very thick skin. Which is not very easy even for the hardiest of people. Engaging negativity with positivity may help. Taking breaks when needed is also key.

3 Likes

I feel smarter just reading that :wink:

Having my own sugar issues I don’t doubt this as a possibility

fact, I’m at a level where half my replies never make it to the screen, I write them, then ask if its right

I also have to constantly evaluate my position on who/what I like vs the health of the community,

thick skin and fine lines :+1:

4 Likes

I think this is a very good philosophy, very much aligns with mine. One option you could consider here is PMing this user and asking for a phone call, depending on how much of your public profile is online you could just say … hey, here is a picture of me, would you like to have a phone call to talk about things?

It is easy to be angry at words on a page, but once there is a face and a voice it can be much more difficult to hold a grudge.

15 Likes

A troll :thinking:

maybe use the google voice app :wink:

would be daring no doubt :+1:

1 Like

Totally agree and I have much experience of this in my day job. We tend to assume we should let systems mediate for us at a distance just because, well, thery’e there, and actual human contact is risky. Handing things over to an algorithm or a Process has become second nature, or first nature actually.

5 Likes

We once did this with a community member who would swing between being very helpful and particularly difficult. We scheduled a call (I took it with a colleague), and we ended up talking for close to an hour. Much to our surprise we learned that she used medication against depression and paranoia, and when she was off-meds her behavior would quickly deteriorate. She apologized profusely and suggested that we’d send her a private reminder whenever this happened again. This completely solved the issue and turned her into a loyal supporter.

Of course, this was a scary move, it will not work for all kind of trolls and it does not scale, but I thought the story illustrates that sometimes the situation is not what you think it is - a little ‘real’ contact can really help you understand the issue and find a solution.

20 Likes

I do the same here. After writing a reply, I read what I’ve written, change it, re-read it, and more often than not will abandon the reply until a few hours later after I’ve given it more thought. My final reply is never the same as the one I originally would have posted. That in itself helps to “keep the peace.” :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Well then thank you Sir I all the more appreciate your reply and recognize you took the time to write, reread and ultimately hit the reply button,

That is really a fantastic outcome, and I’d guess would be the norm if people showed more compassion and concern while casting off what must be self imposed prejudice and misconceptions of others,

still :thinking:

I half expect to log in to see another flag and find these posts missing with a note reading

Discussion regarding sincerity, caring, and compassion has been removed. This is not the place for such discussion.

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Great thread :relaxed:

6 Likes

Yes, very similar—our guy is struggling with bipolar disorder along with T1, and being unable to afford or get access to meds is at the center of the whole mess. It’s all kind of ironic and frustrating because obviously insulin (un)affordability and the deadly consequences thereof is a major topic for us, but he’s identified us with the bad guys in his persecution thoughts. Isolating yourself away from the people who are trying to help you is one of things that goes along with his mental disorder, so it’s a potentially deadly combination. We’re hoping the member he has a level of trust with can get through to him.

7 Likes

Sorry, I never meant to derail the topic.

This thread has become surprisingly positive. It makes me feel happy. :relieved:

Back on topic though, sorry. :slightly_smiling_face:

Keep us updated whenever you get the chance!

6 Likes

Okay folks just something I recently became aware of that I rhought I would share. Disposable Email accounts site.

https://www.guerrillamail.com/

Input names from this site’s listing into Email Blacklist to slow a troll’s roll.

Please share if you find similar services. :wink:

2 Likes

Not exactly the same, as this is more about spamming than trolling. But we’ve seen a recent trend toward using real human beings to infiltrate sites and build trust levels before posting links to promote their products. Had a recent one who looked that way on the surface so we checked Stop Forum Spam. No hits on the email address, but the IP address came up freckled with alerts. So we deleted “her.” Then she came back in a few days and pm’ed Admin wondering why her account had been nixed.

Thing is, the initial suspicious “tell” was the profile pic she used. It just looked SO much like it came out of a stock photo repository, as these new spammers all seem to do. So I did an image search on it. It came up as the very first item in this gallery of AI-generated profile pics, though there’s another one in that position now:

No way to blacklist someone based on a profile pic, but it’s good to know about this as more spam operations try using real people to get around the detection algorithms. Advice: if the profile pic looks like it came from a J Crew catalog, check to see if it’s a stock image.

5 Likes

True this just helps with the whackamole Troll whom uses a variety of methods like temp email. In our instance at one time he was creating 10 to 20 accounts a week through vpns. We have gotten quite adept at spotting his sock accounts.

Many types of Trolls and Spammers. More methods known the better to combat. However a determined enough user really can’t be kept out of a publically accessed site.

1 Like

One of the most effective ways to manage this situation is to simply moderate the posts of all new users who do not meet some criteria (number of approved posts + some other metric, for example).

Then, it does not matter how many bogus accounts or proxies the trolls creates, all their posts are moderated. This is basic forum management 101. Of course trolls can be managed.

We have done this (before) by geoip country, region, useragent string, etc; because when you start to fuse data together (various easily measurable data on the user from standard web client information, like the $_SERVER superglobals, for example); you can score this and let the system auto moderate (keep the posts hidden) new users who scores are higher than the threshold you set based on your own “anti troll model”

The downside to this approach is that some people will be moderated who are legit and they will not have the “good feeling” of quickly posting and feeling welcome. This is basic detection theory 101.

However, these challenges can be overcome, to a high degree of confidence, by scoring the user based on a variety of metrics (geoip info, user agent string, IP address, initial pages visited, and other metrics).

Troll problems are easily solved if you follow an approach like this. You cannot have it both way. If you want to be “very open” then you will have trolls and trash. If you are too restrictive, you will have trouble building your community.

Everything is a trade-off and one size does not fit all. What works for Forum A may not be right for Forum B and so forth.

However, trolls can easily be controlled with a small about of “basic instrumentation” in place, scoring new users based your “anti troll algo” and then auto moderating (staging) those users until they are approved based on their behavior.

It’s basic detection theory…

2 Likes