How can I manually change a User password?

(Rodrigo Farcas) #1

A user put a wrong email and forgot his password. How can I manually change his password?

Thanks!

Can an admin change a user's email address?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Did they sign up using traditional username/password or, say, Google / Twitter / Facebook instead?

(Kane York) #3

Go to their preferences page and change their email to the correct one, then tell them to issue a password reset.

(Dean Taylor) #4

I believe you have to impersonate the user in order to change their email address, its a bit of a pain.

(Mittineague) #5

I’m not so sure of that. I’ve never tried, but as a Mod I can go to a member’s Profile Preferences, click email address and get an edit pencil that brings up a “change email”

(Dean Taylor) #6

Great stuff, there has got to be a reason why I have to impersonate - perhaps SSO.
I’ll remember to test when a user needs their email changed again.

(Mittineague) #7

Maybe this setting isn’t checked?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yes what @riking said, I was not thinking clearly, issuing a password reset is the way and it is easy – but it obviously requires a correct email address!

(Rodrigo Farcas) #9

Hey,
Signed with traditional user/pass

(Dean Taylor) #10

That’s actually part of the process. Because I use SSO I can’t allow users
to change there own email addresses.

So for me the first step is change that setting, then impersonate, change
email address, log out, login, change setting back, change email address in
SSO source.

I’ll get around to writing the extra code to allow users to change it at
some point. It’s all about the time.

(Kane York) #11

I think you can change it at the external site, then have them log out/log in again? I think that will resync the email address.

So there is currently no way a admin/mod to reset a user password (on a ‘native’ account), just the email reactivation method?

(Jason Sachs) #13

that seems… somewhat odd. You need to use email and password reset to change your password?