How do I add a huge list of throwaway email providers to the email blacklist without using a browser?

here’s a list of throwaway email providers to block using the “email domains blacklist” feature:

http://pastebin.com/raw/A8VmXUe3

i converted to tab delimitation for pasting into the discourse admin area but there are a little over 1,500 so chrome throws this error a few times and then crashes:

the blacklist is from this github with 26 contributors: disposable-email-domains/index.json at master · ivolo/disposable-email-domains · GitHub and was most recently updated 2 days ago.

for the email blacklist to be effective it needs to contain a lot of entries.

3 Likes

The guys at www.mogelmail.de maintain a huge list of fake email providers and also provide an API (and a csv export IIRC).

Maybe there is some way to regularly import this automatically into Discourse?

5 Likes

This feature would be great to have!

2 Likes

Can probably do it via the API.

1 Like

Seems ripe for a plugin. :wink: Throw a bounty on it in #marketplace?

9 Likes

Does this work on current Discourse @joffreyjaffeux?

1 Like

No we still can’t mass import settings though the UI, I can work on it if you want. The solution would also solve the re-ordering through drag/drop problematic.

2 Likes

The specific case listed does make sense, when you have a site setting that may need 100+ entries. Not a high priority though.

4 Likes

Would be great if the email blacklist feature also prevented existing accounts with these emails from being able to keep posting.

Would also be really great if there was an easy option from the user panel to bulk delete user accounts (and their content) that already have accounts created with email domains on the blacklist. This way, moderators would be able to make such actions without SSH access and custom queries.

1 Like

I tried to add the pipe-delimited list of bad domains from the source mentioned above, and it is still freezes my PC.
I think this is pretty important for most communities with open registrations.
Is there any workaround to add thousands of domains to the blacklist?

Perhaps checking against these domains (eg. periodically querying some public repo for updates) should be a core setting for Discourse?

1 Like

I think that most communities do just fine with akismet and the other built in spam tools to identify suspect usersand don’t need such a list.

If you’d like to have a way to, say, load a blacklist of email domains from some external list you’ll need a plugin.

1 Like

The workaround is to filter to the top 100 :wink:

3 Likes

Can someone please share the list of 100 most popular/abusive disposable email services/domains?

Most articles on the web list max. ~20 repeating the well known, but those services also use hidden/less known (alternative) domains.

I did mach the mailinator.com et al. with similar domains on public lists, but that’s intuition-based, not data-backed.

Audit your signups, and manually add any services you see entered there. That’s what I would recommend.

6 Likes