How do I change a User Password or Email? DigitalOcean Hosting

Hello,

I have a User who forgot their password to the account.

I want to help them by changing their password but I have no option. I am the Admin. Also, the email they used for their account was one of those temporary disposable email accounts so we can not send a confirmation link.

I am not good with terminals or server issue so a step by step guide would be nice.

Simply go to their profile and edit the email then send an email verification link.

3 Likes
cd /var/discourse
./launcher enter app
rake admin:create

This will let you set their password (and not make them an admin).

But doing what @itsbhanusharma recomended is easier.

Wouldn’t that create an admin account instead of resetting the email of a local user?

root@abednego-web-only:/var/www/discourse# rake admin:create
Email:  jay@literatecomputing.com
User with this email already exists! Do you want to reset the password for this email? (Y/n)   
Password:  
Repeat password:  

Ensuring account is active!

Account updated successfully!
Do you want to grant Admin privileges to this account? (Y/n)  n

It asks if you want to make them an admin.

5 Likes

Where do i type this information? I have the site hosted on Digital Ocean

Log in to your droplet via the web console or ssh. If you use the one click install you’ll have to figure out how to do the script.

1 Like

I followed and it worked somewhat. I am able to change the password! However, i get this message when i log in.

“You can’t log in yet. We previously sent an activation email to you at THROWaway@email.com. Please follow the instructions in that email to activate your account.”

when i type in the new email address, i get “You are not permitted to view the requested resource.”

how do i avoid that old email confirm link? i do not have access to that.

Sorry for massive bump - thanks so much, I HUGELY appreciate this and you don’t know how much this helped me. Stay safe and have a great day.

2 Likes