How do I disable rate limiting from a single IP

Hi, I’m running into a problem where my main site is calling Discourse a lot (since I use Discourse SSO, and do the double-ignore blocking, and all that)… and hitting rate limits left and right. :frowning:

The good news is that the calling site lives on a fixed IP… so is there a way to globally whitelist all API requests from a specific IP, to never trigger rate limiting?

In fact, in general, is there any way to turn off all the rate limiting? I don’t let users have their own API keys so really, I just want my app to be able to call over to Discourse and do anything, any time. The rate limiting is just getting in the way right now.

2 Likes

Are you caching anything between requests?

2 Likes

I am, yeah. I implemented a local cache to keep track of Discourse member IDs as they relate to my site’s main IDs and I keep track of the last time I performed some actions so I don’t have to call the API unnecessarily.

But when my main site gets busy, there are a lot of members entering/exiting forums. And since I implemented the double-ignore to simulate blocking, my site has to make a series of API calls for everyone on someone’s block list. If one of my members has blocked 5 people, that can easily translate to 15-20 API calls.

1 Like

is the limit it sounds like you want to boost.

A better approach may be adding a plugin to add a sync_blocks endpoint so you only need 1 API call per list modification.

8 Likes

Cool, I don’t know these settings but I’ll investigate! Thank you for the tip.

1 Like