How do I remove this sticky event/announcement banner?

Hey folks
Need some help to switch off the upcoming event banner. I have searched through topics as well as admin settings to the best of my ability but couldn’t find anything.

Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that a banner topic? (I just made a topic a banner, and it looks similar)

Maybe try making another topic a banner (using the topic admin menu) and seeing if that changes the banner.

I asked the Discourse AI - AI Bot here is the prompt and completion.

Not sure if it is correct but let us know

Prompt

A banner has Upcoming Event can you tell me how this was created and how to remove it.

Completion

Search

Found 1 result for ‘create remove Upcoming Event banner’

Search

Found 20 results for ‘create banner Discourse’

Read topic

Reading: How is the Banner at meta.discourse.org created?

The banner at the top of a Discourse forum, such as the “Upcoming Event” banner you mentioned, is created using a theme component. The specific theme component used on Discourse Meta is the Welcome Link Banner.

To use this theme component, you can follow these steps:

1. From your Discourse instance, go to Admin > Customize > Themes.
  2. Click on Install > From a git repository.
  3. Enter the URL of the theme component (https://github.com/awesomerobot/discourse-welcome-banner) and click Install.
  4. Once installed, you can add the theme component to your active theme.

The banner is fully customizable. You can edit the text, links, and visibility settings from the theme component settings.

To remove the banner:

1. Go to Admin > Customize > Themes.
  2. Click on your active theme.
  3. Under the Theme Components section, find the Welcome Link Banner and click on Remove.

Please note that you need to have admin privileges to perform these actions.

This link is wrong, it should be

2 Likes

hi @hellobudha welcome to Meta :wave:t2:

i kinda think it’s either the event/calendar plug-in or events plugin.

what happens when you click that banner link?

obviously you can close it with the X icon. but i think that event needs to be removed from a calendar.

Hello and welcome @hellobudha :slight_smile:

I think you mean this bit rather than the Welcome Banner:

If so, I don’t think the AI answer is going to be much use @EricGT :frowning:

Is that your admin view @hellobudha? If not, you may see an ‘edit’ link which will take you to the topic itself where you can Un-Pin it from your topic wrench:

Un-Pin Topic

4 Likes

Here are two items of mention

1. In a GitHub search this turned up

https://github.com/search?q=org%3Apaviliondev%20upcoming&type=code

Notice layouts-event-list-widget As I have no experience with that can not say more.

1. If you have ever used the Developer Tools as part of a browser by pressing F12 you might be able to isolate the HTML for the banner and maybe that will include the name of something recognizable in an HTML tag.

If the site is public and requires no login and you can post the URL here, then some of us can take a look at the page using F12 and maybe learn something helpful from the HTML.

1 Like

i’ve been to the site and it looks like a banner pinned topic for an event in a secured category. i think the pin just needs to be removed like Jammy pointed out. they have other similar event topics that aren’t pinned.

i reproduced similar on my forum too with an event topic.

@hellobudha if you are admin, you should update your Discourse to one of the current versions, or inform the admins of this:

content="Discourse 3.1.0.beta5…

current stable beta is Discourse 3.2.0.beta1-dev

2 Likes

Hello everyone

Thank you so much for all your responses!
I tried all the suggested methods but they didn’t work. The event banner was pinned but somehow the associated topic was unavailable or had been overridden/overwritten somehow.

Managed to fix it though - pinned a new topic and then unpinned it, which did the trick!

Once again, thank you for all the help and prompt responses - they definitely sparked different thoughts and idea, which led me to the solution :smiley:

You all are awesome!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.