How do I set category tracking level defaults historically

(Christoph) #34

Assuming that this still works, I’m wondering whether category permissions will be honoured here.

I have a number of restricted categories and whoever has access to any of those should be watching first post by default. So if I follow the above steps for each of those categories, will only only users who actually hsve access be watching them?

0 Likes

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #35

Category permissions are 100% followed.

4 Likes

User watching categories despite not having access
(Christoph) #36

Okay, just to double check: am I right in assuming that I can use the above procedure to add the category in question to all users but if a user doesn’t have access to that category it will remain ineffective and invisible for that user until the user gains access?

(My reasoning is based on how default categories watching (etc) works)

0 Likes

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #37

That is my understand, yes.

1 Like

(Christoph) #38

How can this be made to work with a two-container setup? If I enter data there is no rails. And if I enter web_only I get NoMethodError: undefined method `id' for nil:NilClass.

0 Likes

(Christoph) #44

Hm, I was searching for “staff”, to be on the safe side:

# rails c
[1] pry(main)> Category.find_by(name: "staff").id
NoMethodError: undefined method `id' for nil:NilClass
from (pry):1:in `__pry__'
[2] pry(main)>

Edit: Okay, got it: it’s case sensitive. This works:

Category.find_by(name: "Staff").id
4 Likes

(James Mc Mahon) #45

Yesterday I discovered where our email volume of 100K+/mo was coming from… All new users were getting set as subscribed to our “General karting” category…

So I need to correct that…

I need some help with the syntax of part 1 in the OP. Bare with me here… I’m not exactly sure what I’m doing wrong…

I tried both " and ’ for quotations, but otherwise, I’m not sure what I need to correct in my syntax

[1] pry(main)> % Category.find_by(name: "General Karting").id
SyntaxError: unexpected ')', expecting end-of-input
...ind_by(name: "General Karting").id

… ^

[1] pry(main)> % Category.find_by(name: 'General Karting').id
SyntaxError: unexpected ')', expecting end-of-input
...ind_by(name: 'General Karting').id
...                              ^
0 Likes

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #46

It looks like you’re typing %? Don’t :wink:. That’s just supposed to be an indication that you’re in the rails console instead of the docker container. I’ll edit the OP to be clearer.

Edit: OP edited.

3 Likes

(James Mc Mahon) #47

Thanks. Rookie error on my part :smiley:

1 Like

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #48

No worries at all. We all start from the beginning at some point.

Is the guide clearer now?

1 Like

(James Mc Mahon) #49

Oh it makes total sense. Thanks

3 Likes

(James Mc Mahon) #50

Actually… I’m stuck on the query. I need to update category ID 1 to notification level of regular (1).
From rails… I’m typing

User.exec_sql("INSERT INTO category_users(category_id, user_id, notification_level) SELECT 1, u.id, 1 FROM users u LEFT JOIN category_users cu ON cu.category_id = 1 AND cu.user_id = u.id WHERE cu.user_id IS NULL;")

I get response

<PG::Result:0x000055fadb534428 status=PGRES_COMMAND_OK ntuples=0 nfields=0 cmd_tuples=0>

Via the GUI/forums, it looks like it hasn’t changed.

0 Likes

Need Help Troubleshooting an "Internal Server Error" message When New Topic is posted
(Joshua Rosenfeld) #51

Going to call in an assist here from @sam, PostgreSQL isn’t my area of expertise.

1 Like

(James Mc Mahon) #52

Circling back to see if anyone has ideas on where I’m going wrong with my sql query?

0 Likes

(David Taylor) #54

The query you tried will only update the tracking level IF the user isn’t already tracking/watching/muting a category. It sounds like you want to remove any users that are watching a category.

If that’s correct, try running this on the rails console. It will find all users that are ‘watching’ the category with id=5, and set them to “regular”:

CategoryUser.where(notification_level: CategoryUser.notification_levels[:watching], category_id: 5).update_all(notification_level: CategoryUser.notification_levels[:regular])

:warning: As always, make sure to take a backup before running anything on the console - the smallest typo can have massive consequences!

6 Likes

(James Mc Mahon) #55

Thanks David. I must have misunderstood the purpose of the query. I thought it was to update (ie lower the subscription level) for all users UNLESS they explicitly set it themselves vs it being assigned via the setting in admin panel.

2 Likes

(David Taylor) #56

The more precise definition here is “for all users UNLESS it has already been set”. We don’t have any way of knowing whether a user set it themselves, or it was automatically set by the admin panel default.

2 Likes

(James Mc Mahon) #57

That makes sense because when I (thought I) saw that, I thought “well that’s impressive that we have that granularity”

0 Likes

(James Mc Mahon) #58

Not to be a pest, but I’m still struggling with this, getting a syntax error when I run this query…

[4] pry(main)> User.exec_sql("INSERT INTO CategoryUser.where(notification_level: CategoryUser.notification_levels[:watching], category_id: 1).update_all(notification_level: CategoryUser.notification_levels[:regular];")

PG::SyntaxError: ERROR:  syntax error at or near ":"
LINE 1: INSERT INTO CategoryUser.where(notification_level: CategoryU...

Any ideas on what I’m overlooking?

0 Likes

(David Taylor) #59

Sorry, I should have been clearer there. The command I shared does not need to be run inside “exec_sql”. It can just be run directly on the rails console.

3 Likes