Set category tracking level defaults for *new* users

I was surprised to learn that the default categories watching first post setting only applies to current users and the setting doesn’t affect new users.

I was just wondering if I am overlooking something obvious regarding how to apply this setting to new users before I go about developing a custom solution.

Related topic:

1 Like

I could be wrong, but when you change the setting and you get this modal; hitting “No, apply change going forward”, I understand from now, so new users.

I previously clicked, “yes,” and it didn’t apply to new users. Maybe it’s either/or (historical/going forward)?

However, if all users are already watching the first post of the category and then I reset that setting (so default categories watching first post is empty again), then I re-add the category to default categories watching first post, I don’t receive this prompt.

Anyways, if I selected “No, only apply change going forward,” this wouldn’t work because some users would be left with the wrong watch level.

The setting is for new users and gives the option to apply it to existing users.

Let’s say you set General as a category.

• If you select “No”, only new users will watch the General category.
  • If you select “'Yes”, existing users will have their preferences updated [1], and new users will watch the General category. The “yes” is a one-time update – you still have General category set, and it will work for new users.
    Note:

That’s because you hit “No” in both times. It means nothing changed, and everyone still watches that category. There would be no point in bringing up the modal to ask you if you want to update existing users.

Does that make sense to you?

1. Important nuance by Jammy below:
    Just a small qualifier, it will update the preferences for anyone who hasn’t already specifically set one. It will change the default, but not override a user’s deliberate choice. :+1: ↩︎

1 Like

Just a small qualifier, it will update the preferences for anyone who hasn’t already specifically set one. It will change the default, but not override a user’s deliberate choice. :+1:

2 Likes

Oh, you’re right; thanks! It’s a significant detail here. :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, that makes sense.

That is what I assumed, however, the setting isn’t applied to new users.

We are using the /admin/users/sync_sso endpoint to create new users. I wonder if this might have something to do with this unexpected behavior. :thinking:

1 Like