How do we test a new user's onboarding flow?

Currently, I’m revising a lot of our forum’s onboarding flow. In order to test it, I’m just creating (then deleting) a lot of test users. Is there an easier way to preview onboarding elements, like the welcome message the discourse narrative bot sends, without actually creating new accounts?

4 Likes

From the rails console you can use e.g.:

Jobs::SendDefaultWelcomeMessage.new.execute(user_id: User.find_by(username: 'bilbo_baggins').id)

to trigger the welcome message.

4 Likes

I personally feel it’s better to create accounts to get the full experience and test it thoroughly. You can use plus addressing in email to synthesize a bunch of unique email addresses – then I delete the account after I’m done testing so it doesn’t leave any residue behind.

2 Likes

Update: I realized that what I really wanted was a way to preview the system_messages.welcome_user.text_body_template. Creating a new topic on Discourse brings up a wonderful compose field + preview so I know exactly what I’m typing turns into. I don’t see the same preview screen when I customize text, so I was struggling with knowing what messages new users would receive. Are there plans to add previews to the Customize Text interactions?

I can also just hack it together by composing my text for system_messages.welcome_user.text_body_template in a new topic, then copying and pasting it over. :smiley:

2 Likes

That would be very difficult to build as it would require that each translations has a “link” to where and how it is displayed.

That makes sense! I’ll go with this solution, then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.