How does the "mute all categories by default" setting work?

I enabled this setting on my instance and try to register a new account, the account landed on latest page with an empty topic list, when I try to click on the categories tab, it goes to the categories page and has “muted categories” shown on top (without the right plus button) and nothing happen when I click on it ( I thought it should expand and show the list)

Does anyone has the setting on and could explain how it works?

1 Like

It’s not a setting I’ve used much, but I’ve just switched it on to give it a run-through with you. I have Latest as my homepage (first value in top menu), and redirect users to top page unchecked, so my new user also got dropped into an empty Latest page - though navigating to categories showed me all the categories underneath the ‘muted category’ banner (no :heavy_plus_sign: symbol though):

My assumption is that they’d then be able to explore from there and pick up individual topics by interacting with them, and toggle ‘watching/tracking/normal’ from the category bell in each. It would probably also make more sense to have the category page as the homepage, perhaps?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.