How many hours does it take to install Discourse?

(www.english.best) #1

Hi, I’m not a developer so I hired a company that has been creating my website. Now I want the team to add Discourse to my site. How do I calculate or estimate how many hours it will take the developers to install and integrate Discourse? Is there any way to tell? Many thanks, Torsten

(Vinoth Kannan) #2

Set up Discourse in the cloud in under 30 minutes with zero knowledge of Rails or Linux shell. We recommend DigitalOcean, but these steps will work on any Docker-compatible cloud provider or local server.

:bell: Don’t have 30 minutes to set this up? For a flat one-time fee of $99, the community can install Discourse in the cloud for you. Click here to purchase a self-supported community install.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/docs/INSTALL-cloud.md

Even for an absolute beginner, it should not take more than a hour to get it up and running.

(www.english.best) #4

My site is hosted in my Google Cloud account, I take it will be as easy to install as with DigitalOcean?

(Vinoth Kannan) #5

Yes. It will be easy to setup.

Assuming that the Google Cloud meets the requirement, then yes, the installation should be pretty much the same

(www.english.best) #7

What is the ‘requirement’?

(Anil Gupta) #8

Yes, it takes about 15-20 minutes to install on Google cloud.
We did it and were really impressed with Google’s infrastructure.

The official discourse install steps work seamlessly (the one that Vinoth has shared the link for).

(Jay Pfaffman) #9

It’s all pretty well explained in the install document linked above. It’s been edited for several years so that it answers questions like the ones you’re asking.