How quickly are notifications sent?

Hi,

How quickly after posting are notifications sent? I just posted publicly something that was meant to be a whisper (no clue how I managed that) & then immediately deleted the post. Did the user get an email with my not-for-public-consumption reply?

1 Like

There generally is a (configurable) delay between a mention being made ane the notification being sent to prevent this kind of situation. Whether a notification was sent or not will depend upon the configured delay and the fact that the user was online or not.

Edit: the setting is called email time window mins

4 Likes

On average, it seems to be a delay of about 15 minutes or less. I assume that’s the default setting?

1 Like

Oh snap, email time!

:email: :timer_clock:

Ahem… I meant to say, “email time”, as in /admin/site_settings/category/all_results?filter=email time, will show you a couple of settings, the one @itsbhanusharma mentioned and another one for personal messages.

• email time window mins
  • personal email time window seconds

Note: they are named “mins” and “seconds”. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I believe the default for email time window mins is 10 minutes:

And, just to be thorough, the default for personal email time window seconds is 20 seconds. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

Thanks y’all! Fortunately, our settings are still at the defaults:
Selection_088

whew!

5 Likes

Ah, so I was mostly correct… :grin:

3 Likes

You were off by 5 minutes (50%) which is due to the fact that email processing and delivery takes anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes these days. In some exceptional cases it could be hours before an email arrives.

5 Likes

In my defense, I did say “15 minutes or less” in my reply… :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.