How to create a collaborative database about tree species

I’ve completed an installation/setup at https://placenta.opensyntropy.earth

This is a forum for regenerative farming practitioners and one main need is to create a collaborative tree species database. I’ll describe the requirements and the solution I found out with a little research.

Requirements

1. Some user levels can create new trees(name,size, biome, etc). The topic/wiki allows further discussions about the tree attributes that can lead to updates in its values.
  2. The database should be available for anyone to download.

Solution

• Create a wiki category
  • Use the custom wizard plugin to structure the tree dataset
  • Write a code to dump the database of trees

Do you think this is the best solution or see any alternative approaches?

As I did not test the custom wizard plugin, my concern is whether it will allow anyone to edit the data or just the wiki owner. Can you support me? @angus :slight_smile:

Custom Wizard definitely has a broad range of use/capabilities.

However to limit who can edit a wiki. Use Groups and category permissions.

So for example Bob seems to be very knowledgeable and has asked if he can help/submit & assist maintaining the database(s).

He applies to join Tree Wiki Group.

Tree Wiki Category security settings

• Everyone - See
  • Tree Wiki Group - See/Create/Reply

You can also set a Setting that when someone tries to post in a wiki group topic it displays

“You must be a part of x group. Would you like to apply?”

This can be configured to be a link to take the person to pm group owners.

From here I will leave this for someone with better knowledge to answer your other queries.

This is a good approach. I guess it could be a little different, right?

• Everyone - See/Reply
  • Tree Wiki Group - See/Create/Reply (anyone can be part of the discussion, but just moderators can update the tree attributes)

I think the permission to edit wiki posts is tied to the reply permission.

2 Likes

The Custom Wizard plugin does indeed have many uses, however I would use a dedicated data editing tool for this, outside of Discourse. I would then put a link to the relevant part of the tool in a post in a topic, or perhaps even embed a view of the data in the post if that’s possible, and host the discussion in Discourse.

3 Likes

Thank you Angus, I’m considering this alternative! But do you have any reason not to use the custom wizard? I installed it, created a form, and considered using the custom fields to add the data to the view.

It was not clear how a moderator would edit the data later on. I couldn’t get at this point because it was failing to create the topic, there is an error probably related to the integration with the Multilingual plugin.

error: failed to create - You must include at least 1 topic language.