How to create a specific PM via link

Hey guys, I have created the following link, which lets users PM me with a specific title.

https://meta.discourse.org/new-message?username=Thomas_G&title=Group_Request

Can I achieve the following?

• Include spaces, instead of _

• Have my message automatically tagged with a specific tag

2 Likes

Yes, substitute spaces with %20.

Message conversations can be tagged after creation, AFAIK there’s no tagging UI for the new message dialog, unsure if that’s intentional.

4 Likes

That will help for sure.

Yeah, it’s really annoying though and users often get suspicious when they see an edit.

1 Like

Do you really want group requests going to your inbox?

Why not send group requests to a group inbox (doesn’t have to be the same one) to group/filter them that way?

One other trick with messages is that you can prepopulate the body with a template, using %0A in the URL to specify line breaks.

One of the COVID volunteer groups I work with has a request link which generates the PM to a group with preset title and body template. Has been surprisingly effective.

2 Likes

Because we have more than 10 groups, and each user is added accordingly. PMing me really helps, as I am managing the whole situation and tags make it even easier! Otherwise, we would need to create one more group for me, which clogs up the group section more and it’s a great way for trolls to take action.

2 Likes

The group doesn’t have to be visible to anyone else in /g afaik

1 Like

I know, we just don’t want to create another group. Having it as it is really helps, we just seek help to make our life easier.

1 Like

This is very cool! Something I’ve been looking to implement which is great!

Is there a way to message a group instead of a specific user? Thanks! :slight_smile: