How to customize the no of days in Data retention policy?

Is there any relevant settings available to customize the no of days value in data retention ? Also what will be the default value for no of days if the user doesn’t provide the custom settings?

Hi @ramyani, my understanding is that the appropriate value for the [NUMBER OF DAYS] placeholder that’s found in the default Discourse privacy policy is dependent on your hosting provider.

I have a few questions about it that I’d like to get answered.

Looking at: Data retention claims in default privacy topic. It was suggested by the Discourse team that a daily job should be run that deletes the registration IP address of users after a specific period of time. I’m not sure if that was implemented.

That topic also mentions the retention of server logs. I believe those logs are destroyed by default after a period of 90 days, but I’m unsure of this. I’m also not sure if there is a site setting that controls it.

The other issue that may need to be addressed is how long backup files are kept for hosted Discourse sites. My understanding is that for sites hosted by Discourse, backup files are encrypted and saved for a period of 30 days. This could be different for other hosting providers. For self-hosted sites, the length of time that backup files are saved will be at the discretion of the site owner.

For sites that are hosted by Discourse, it seems to me that the appropriate value of the NUMBER OF DAYS placeholder should be known. For those cases, would it make sense to give site owners some guidance about this? It’s possible that there’s existing documentation about this that I’m not finding.

2 Likes

Thank you Simon for the details :slightly_smiling_face: